A Post Of Warning For Those Seeking Monetization

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Hello all, and I would appreciate it if one or more admins or mods would consider this post for the Pinned section.

I'm not just a member of this and the official YouTube Help Forum; I'm also a member of the Medium social blogging platform, and that platform's Partner Programme. As such, though I am entitled to monetize posts, I've chosen so far to post non-monetized content in order to reach a wider audience.

I just posted a self-composed article I think will be of use to the people who want to jump on the YouTube Partner Programme "bandwagon" as soon as they can. This article's purpose is to encourage people to "look before they leap".

So You Want To Join YouTube To Make Money, Do You? (Pt. 1)

I welcome any and all comments to both the original post, and to this thread.

Lukas Kade

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your article makes me think of all the "Make Money On Youtube Without Making Your Own Videos" courses and videos I keep seeing on Youtube. Channels like Bye 9 - 5 and David Vlas claim you can make thousands a month just by reuploading creative commons videos or by taking copyrighted videos without asking and editing them so Youtube won't detect them as duplicates. What I don't understand is what Youtube counts as adding value to existing content. What do they count as value? I see tons of channels uploading existing content and replace the audio with commentary / music. Does that count or will the videos still run the risk of getting demonetized for duplication?

Reactions: videoeditgr

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@Lukas Kade

Indeed, indeed! This is in fact, one of the so-called "markets" I was aiming at with this article series, and it is a series of two at this point. Replacing existing audio with commentary or even music you did not create yourself when the content is reuploaded from a copyrighted source or Creative Commons, will no longer work in the new climate.

There are wild rumours circulating now, that say in future all that will be accepted for monetization is self shot facecam videos; but this is another Urban Myth. Reason is if that were true, we'd be saying goodbye to a great deal of YouTube Music and Vevo channels, due to the fact that the main person in the videos could obviously not have done the shooting...lol.

I did post twice earlier, a Creator Insider video which explained some things which would be considered as adding value to a video; look at my posting history to find an instance of it.

I haven't had my coffee yet; but here is part two of the series which gives some of the main reasons people have gotten into trouble, or failed to monetize their videos or channel.

So You Want To Join YouTube To Make Money, Do You? (Pt. 2 )

As I am a Neo-Ericksonian hypnotist, I tend to use metaphor a lot when I write. If I become too obscure in these articles, let me know and I will tone it down a bit.:wavespin:

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Personally I would ignore the "adding value" rule.
In the current climate, if you haven't shot the video yourself and own the rights to any music on the video then just don't bother uploading it.
In that light, if you are correct, then I will have to never upload anything again, and just allow my channel to go static. I compose my own music; but I cannot show my creation workflow due to the rules on showing software interfaces.

So I use licensed stock footage to back my recordings. I've started compositing multiple clips in transparency to make them unique; we will see if that is enough. The video in my signature is a good example of my compositing technique.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The only thing that I can contribute to the discussion is this:
While usually buying used equipment the most common search string for me is
"(model) low light footage" and more generic "(model) test footage".
Models I search are much older, so search returns much older videos in the platform.
The interesting thing is that videos prior 2015-2016 are almost speechless.
People present their work, the tests in this particular search and this is it.
No rumbling, no face vlogging, no nothing.
Also comments seem much more nice.
No hate, no "first" or dope or "sick", no 2018 crazy.
So perhaps, a "Rewind" is necessary to Youtube itself!
:) :D

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
The only thing that I can contribute to the discussion is this:
While usually buying used equipment the most common search string for me is
"(model) low light footage" and more generic "(model) test footage".
Models I search are much older, so search returns much older videos in the platform.
The interesting thing is that videos prior 2015-2016 are almost speechless.
People present their work, the tests in this particular search and this is it.
No rumbling, no face vlogging, no nothing.
Also comments seem much more nice.
No hate, no "first" or dope or "sick", no 2018 crazy.
So perhaps, a "Rewind" is necessary to Youtube itself!
:) :D
They already do a "rewind" of the current year at its end.

Perhaps they need to look back a bit farther; as a lot of older existing partner channels are being demonetized as they come under review for compliance with the new rules.

Maybe YouTube needs to remember its roots before there is a stampede for the exit?

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally I would ignore the "adding value" rule.
In the current climate, if you haven't shot the video yourself and own the rights to any music on the video then just don't bother uploading it.
I hope it won't be that brutal, because many popular genres on YouTube will instantly die. Some examples:

Gaming - gone, unless you have written the game yourself. Oh well, I have around 1000 videos of my own games, hopefully they are good to stay, since I've already proved to YouTube some years ago that I am the author of the games. But for the rest of the games - duplication, automatically generated by computer content with little interference by me while playing.

Software tutorial videos - gone. Even if you have permission for the software itself you don't have permission for the fonts, the mouse sprite, the Operating System interface. And most of the software tutorial videos show the same program all the time - duplication, automatically generated content, repetitive etc...

Vlogs - unless you shoot in front of green screen you don't have permission from the architects of the buildings if you are in a inhabited area. Filming outside is risky as well. Filming the sky - small air-plane is seen - no permission from the pilot. The sky looks pretty much the same everywhere - duplication, repetitive content, little added value from the creator.

Unboxings, animations, reviews, music, ASMRs, pranks, etc.. see above - everything is in danger.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I hope it won't be that brutal, because many popular genres on YouTube will instantly die. Some examples:

Gaming - gone, unless you have written the game yourself. Oh well, I have around 1000 videos of my own games, hopefully they are good to stay, since I've already proved to YouTube some years ago that I am the author of the games. But for the rest of the games - duplication, automatically generated by computer content with little interference by me while playing.

Software tutorial videos - gone. Even if you have permission for the software itself you don't have permission for the fonts, the mouse sprite, the Operating System interface. And most of the software tutorial videos show the same program all the time - duplication, automatically generated content, repetitive etc...

Vlogs - unless you shoot in front of green screen you don't have permission from the architects of the buildings if you are in a inhabited area. Filming outside is risky as well. Filming the sky - small air-plane is seen - no permission from the pilot. The sky looks pretty much the same everywhere - duplication, repetitive content, little added value from the creator.

Unboxings, animations, reviews, music, ASMRs, pranks, etc.. see above - everything is in danger.
Precisely why I think that YouTube either has shot itself in both virtual feet, or is preparing to end the Partner Program, and possibly user generated content itself in favour of MSM (Mainstream Media) being its sole platform presentation scheme.