A partial checklist of things you NEED to do on your YT channel.

TheRomanticsWB

Jack of All Trades
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
In no particular order. Also, feel free to add your own must do items to this list. This list was given to me by someone at the top of the food chain as a critique of my own channel. We are hard at work getting this fixed. Also, this is assuming you're using the new YT channel design (you should be).

1. Make sure your banner/graphic identifies your brand quite easily AND lists your video posting schedule ON the banner. The first thing people will see on your channel is this banner at the top. Giving them a graphic that identifies you and tells them WHAT you post and when, will tell them immediately if they are interested and encourage them to have a look at more.

2. You need to film a personal trailer where you detail WHO you are and WHAT your brand/channel is about. This needs to be concise, very short and very detailed. It needs to be interesting immediately. I would suggest 30 seconds long.

3. Define yourself and your brand EVERYWHERE you post your content. That means use the same logo/icon and username everywhere you go. Use the same signatures on forums etc...

4. You NEED good thumbnails. For Let's Plays or gameplay vids, bright and interesting with very large and clear episode numbers or titles works. For anything like a Vlog or live action, you need the PEOPLE on the thumbnail with very large episode numbers. If you want to know exactly how to make them look, just look at any giant youtuber that does the same kind of stuff you do and emulate their thumbnails.

5. Always put a subscribe annotation in your videos within the first 30 seconds. I suggest putting it in immediately and leaving it up for at least 10 seconds. If your video is only 30 seconds long, leave it up the entire time discreetly in the TOP LEFT CORNER. The top left corner is the FIRST place a person in the U.S. looks on any form or document. There are a LOT of other tips/rules for annotations but this is the most important one.

6. No credits running at the end of ANY video you produce. If you want to put credits in a video, put them in the description, at the bottom.

7. Extremely specific description of each video you list, maximizing the usage of keywords in the TOP 3 LINES of the description area. If it's a single video that's not in a series, it will have its own custom description. If it's a video that's part of a series, THESE DESCRIPTIONS SHOULD MATCH MOST OF THEIR KEYWORDS IN EVERY VIDEO OF THE SERIES! There are a lot of reasons to do this. Most of the reasons involve making videos of a series show up in each others end screen ads and sidebars. YouTube puts a heavier weighting on the first 3 lines of the description as far as keywords go.

8. Link to the front page of your YT channel at the bottom of the description in EVERY VIDEO you post.

9. Keyword Optimization - Mix of VERY niche specific keywords as well as very broad keywords. It works a little differently than optimizing for just google search. For example, if I do a game video about Don't Starve the game. I want to use the keywords, "Wilson" (name of character i'm using in game) as well as "Video Game".

11. YouTube is now about showing love and engaging with viewers. It hasn't always been this way but it is now. This is where Vloggers can easily shine but it's harder for a let's player or a person like me that puts out a Web Series that's basically a short film. If you do a video game series, make sure at the end or during the video you ask specific questions to your viewers and ask them to respond in the comments with their answers. When you start getting these responses, make sure you answer them and respond/refer to them in the next video. This is the type of quality interaction people are looking for.
Never be afraid to ask your viewers for thumbs and comments. This is expected on YouTube at this point. Don't irritate them with it but saving a short 10 second bit at the end of the video do this as part of your format is fine.
If you do a type of production that doesn't allow you to do this often, like we do, consider starting a weekly, short Vlog video to do specifically this. Ask your viewers questions and interact with them. In your next Vlog, respond to what they said, even if it was only 1 or 2 responses. Those 2 people will be loyal viewers if you do this and it will build.
What we did is start a Podcast called Filmmaking With Noobs. This way we can really interact with our viewers.
Always keep in mind you are trying to find ways to ADD VALUE for you viewers, not for yourself.

I hope some of these tips were helpful. Please post your own tips to "Square away a YT channel" if you have the time. These are only a handful of MANY.

Flammy

Shooting Down Idiots
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
1. Make sure your banner/graphic identifies your brand quite easily AND lists your video posting schedule ON the banner.

2. You need to film a personal trailer

5. Always put a subscribe annotation in your videos within the first 30 seconds.

6. No credits running at the end of ANY video you produce.

7. Extremely specific description of each video you list, maximizing the usage of keywords in the TOP 3 LINES of the description area.

11. [...] If you do a video game series, make sure at the end or during the video you ask specific questions to your viewers and ask them to respond in the comments with their answers.
While these are some good things, I would hardly call all of them essential. Why? I violate every single one of these above rules as well as partially violate others which I left off.

Take advice from everyone, but take it with a grain of salt.

Additionally, I would love to see a source for this:
YouTube puts a heavier weighting on the first 3 lines of the description as far as keywords go.
As for the responding to comments goes... actually it is rather impossible to respond to even 10% of comments for any medium or large channel. YouTube even 'detaches' uploader comments fairly quickly (Seems to be within hours)

TheRomanticsWB

Jack of All Trades
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
While these are some good things, I would hardly call all of them essential. Why? I violate every single one of these above rules as well as partially violate others which I left off.

Take advice from everyone, but take it with a grain of salt.

Additionally, I would love to see a source for this:

As for the responding to comments goes... actually it is rather impossible to respond to even 10% of comments for any medium or large channel. YouTube even 'detaches' uploader comments fairly quickly (Seems to be within hours)
You don't really apply to some of these things because you do ONE thing on your channel with ONE game. It's obvious what you're going to post.

Also, I would hardly say you've made it on YouTube or anything... How do you know that these wouldn't help you even more? Do you have a bunch of 500k+ sub channels we don't know about with loads of experience?
Some of this information came from a YT expert and some of it came from an SEO expert for YT.

I think you would greatly benefit from having more interaction with your viewers on your channel. Your thing is EXTREMELY niche. That's the reason you have the subs you have.

On the opposite side of you saying you don't think these are essential, where's your experience with saying that? It really comes down to, believe it or not, you're gonna do whatever you want. At 38k Subs I would sure still take most of this advice if it was me.[DOUBLEPOST=1367622686,1367622568][/DOUBLEPOST]
No #6 because at the end of your web series/movie/show style video, you need to immediately have an enticing end card with animated annotations to KEEP that person on your channel. Credits take up the screen real estate and cause an instant "close this page/click on something else" syndrome. A super catchy end card with shiny clicky things doesn't. (at least for the masses on youtube).

Also, unless you're large enough to do whatever the heck you want on YT anyway, no one knows those names or cares about those names until you ARE that big.

Lin

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No #6 because at the end of your web series/movie/show style video, you need to immediately have an enticing end card with animated annotations to KEEP that person on your channel. Credits take up the screen real estate and cause an instant "close this page/click on something else" syndrome. A super catchy end card with shiny clicky things doesn't. (at least for the masses on youtube).
Thanks for the explanation :)
What do you mean by an enticing end card? Are you referring to the "see my previous video" type of outro? Or are you referring to the "please subscribe/like if you haven't" type (<-- this is where I usually close video page :giggle:))?

Reactions: TheRomanticsWB

TheRomanticsWB

Jack of All Trades
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Thanks for the explanation :)
What do you mean by an enticing end card? Are you referring to the "see my previous video" type of outro? Or are you referring to the "please subscribe/like if you haven't" type (<-- this is where I usually close video page :giggle:))?
Hi Lin,
Go to my channel and look at the video under my trailer. It's called The Romantics S2E1 - Hotcakes. Look at the very end of that video. We made that before we realized/knew about the credits thing so imagine that end card (the stuff along the top) being full screen with no credits rolling.