a newbies question about using creative comons

AmazingAndy

Reaction score
Just started a new YouTube channel with funny animal videos. I've read many people will search the creative commons videos to find videos to copy, but I've also read that can be risky as well. Any ideas for a newbie other than the obvious of filming my own videos. Would other YouTubers with funny videos share on my channel if I posted the credits back to them???

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / claims / legal forum. :)

The problem you'll get is that many videos which are tagged as Creative Commons are not Creative Commons at all.

My advice for YouTube is to simply create your own original content to avoid all these problems.

AmazingAndy

Reaction score
I've learned that if you want to copy someone else's picture or video, and they uploaded somewhere saying that the license was "creative commons", which means anyone can copy and use it without any copyright or royalty issues - is not always the case. If they copied something that was copyrighted, but posted as creative commons and now you think it's ok to copy and use it - that's where the trouble comes in. You can be in violation of copyright. Bottom line - I've learned to create your own material only. I haven't come up with any other solution.

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
It mostly depends on the type of content you do. If you do reviews, analysis, or commentaries, then it's usually fair use anyway.

But if you're just doing things like ... re-uploading entire songs verbatim just so you can get views without any creative effort on your part, then yeah, it's probably not safe.

But even if you're in the clear as far as copyright law is concerned, you most likely won't get monetized by Youtube because you'd be in violation of youtube's policy on repetitive content. See ...

So if you're looking to make money on youtube, you'll need to do something original anyway. You can re-use content, but you have to add substantial new content (such as commentary or reactions), at which point, you might as well just go with the "fair use" excuse, rather than "creative commons."

I personally only use creative commons for things like background music, or for gameplay footage of a video game that I'm doing a retrospective on. My commentary and analysis in my videos is still the primary focus of the video. So my videos are still fair use regardless of creative commons status.

Last edited: