A Message to SMALL Channels.

Tuurngait Gaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey I'm Tuurngait!

So, I notice a decent amount of smaller YouTubers not even at 100 subs or even above 100 by a little, are monetizing their videos.

DON'T.

There are high odds people will leave your videos because of ads. They might not even know your channel, but they open it up and see an ad and decide to not watch it.

There's also little to no money at all in doing it while you're a small channel.

BUILD UP YOUR AUDIENCE FIRST.

Have people that will stick around rather than turning people away.

Reactions: nickywickyd

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There were already a few topics about this over the last few days, it ain't as simple as just don't monetize. It's 2016 who still cares for ads? You either adblock ads or you support creators so logic dictates the ads not putting people off, it's the content.

Just one night of a non monetized viral video could make you lose thousands, and if you plan on monetizing in the future you may as well start early on cause you won't ever get that money back. Ads are the least of people's problems, imho.

Anti-Hype

Reaction score
Yeah most people that really have an issue with ads (for whatever reason) usually go with adblock. Most folk are savvy enough these days.

Reactions: luckee

luckee

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see anything wrong monetizing your small channel or having small subscribers. People nowadays are already aware about ads and viewers can always skip the ads if they don't like it or some people have AdBlock already. I believe, if viewers really want to watch your content, they don't care about the ads and all they care is the content, me, myself as a viewer, I don't care about their ads as long as Ad/s is not appearing in every seconds. I saw some youtubers doing that like: videos are 30 minutes long and ads were appearing every after 2 minutes or so, that's the time that viewers feel turn off. Obviously, the uploader is really about money.

Tomba

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
There were already a few topics about this over the last few days, it ain't as simple as just don't monetize. It's 2016 who still cares for ads? You either adblock ads or you support creators so logic dictates the ads not putting people off, it's the content.

Just one night of a non monetized viral video could make you lose thousands, and if you plan on monetizing in the future you may as well start early on cause you won't ever get that money back. Ads are the least of people's problems, imho.
I have to agree with @Sin B here.
People mostly use adblock and If you aren't monetizing your video YouTube will still show ads on your video but they take the whole cut.

And there are so many ads circulating YouTube so when you monetize as a small channel it won't even get noticed.

Regards
Phone

My Dixie ReKt

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the tip dude! :) I hardly monetise my videos as i dont really want to earn anything from what i do as a hobby.

Blunt Brittany

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was literally wondering this exact topic today so its great to see so many opinions on it!! I feel like a majority of stuff I watch has ads and its 2016 so most people know they have to deal with ads or block them haha!

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Ah, this tired debate again... there are countless threads already explaining the pros and cons with plenty of people fighting for each side.

From my experience... if someone searches for a video and a bunch pop up, they're far more inclined to go with the one with the most views and a positive rating. If they happen to click on one with only a few hundred (or less) views and minimal 'likes' and are instead faced with an ad, you're now giving the viewer 5 seconds to change their mind. 5 seconds to click on any one of the 'Suggested' videos that will also likely match what their searching for, possibly have a better thumbnail, and will almost certainly have a more inviting view count.

Yes, there are plenty of people who will sit through the ad (or skip it after 5 seconds), but, when you only have a couple hundred views or subscribers, is it worth risking even one person to go elsewhere?

I always suggest that people set their channel up for monetizing from the get go and, if they insist, overlay ads shouldn't annoy anyone... but I don't see the point of pre-roll ads until someone is averaging (at least) 10-20k views a month.

As for the 'what if your video goes viral overnight' comments... do you really believe that you will receive 100k+ views on one of your videos within a few hours without you knowing about it? Once AdSense is set up, it takes all of 5 seconds to turn monetization on or off.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
But I've heard monetizing moves your videos up higher in the search

Reactions: Anti-Hype