A copyright claim after a lengthy (and successful) monetization?

iTzBryan

Reaction score
I have a hypothetical question that I can't find a solid answer for: Let's say you upload a video tomorrow and 6 months from now you've made $100.00 from that video. Then a copyright claimant flags your video. Let's assume they don't sue you and instead either request you take it down or they simply take over the monetization.

What happens to the $100.00 that you've already pocketed?

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It depends what you will do it, how can I know it? :D

If you use adsense you need 70$ to withdraw. You have 5 months to do that, so only 30$ will be left, which you will probably lose, however on YouTube it may be different but if you get money from adsense on your website and someone reports your website then you lose everything you have in adsense at that time.

So back to your question you will probably lose 30$ that is left in your adsense as for the rest I can only guess, maybe you will buy food or alcohol or something else, your possibilities are almost endless here!

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As a rule of thumb when ever I have a business I save 40% for taxes, and I plan to the same for YouTube. This way if something does come up as you suggested, I don't have to come up with money, it's already sitting there.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So the real, actual answer is that you get to keep all $100. No claims can take what you've already made. They can only take from the point of the claim forward. This is true even if they take down your video. And by the way, no claim will ever request that you take down a video. They will either get the money from that point on, block the video from being viewed, or file a DMCA takedown notification for YouTube to take down the video. In all of those cases, you'd get to keep any money you already made on it.

The only way they could get money you already made is if they brought it to court and sued you for it.

Last edited:

iTzBryan

Reaction score
Exactly the response I was looking for. Thank you.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
It's funny to watch people come in here and post their incorrect guesses, hopes, and dreams as they help nobody and cause more harm than good.
@Idec Sdawkminn got it 100% right.
My source: This has happened to me (sadly) multiple times.

Reactions: Idec Sdawkminn

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It's funny to watch people come in here and post their incorrect guesses, hopes, and dreams as they help nobody and cause more harm than good.
@Idec Sdawkminn got it 100% right.
My source: This has happened to me (sadly) multiple times.
It gets to the point where I almost wish every post in this subforum had to be approved by a mod knowledgeable on copyright before they would get posted. My only hesitance to that is that it would require a lot more work for them.

Reactions: Shakycow

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
It gets to the point where I almost wish every post in this subforum had to be approved by a mod knowledgeable on copyright before they would get posted. My only hesitance to that is that it would require a lot more work for them.
Yah, the unsupervised children, or just plaid stupid grownups post anything with no regard to the consequences of being right or wrong - the worst part is they post it as fact.
I've gotten to the point that any time I ask a question here I ask that nobody answer without citing their source. Usually, I just dont bother asking questions here any more.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Yah, the unsupervised children, or just plaid stupid grownups post anything with no regard to the consequences of being right or wrong - the worst part is they post it as fact.
I've gotten to the point that any time I ask a question here I ask that nobody answer without citing their source. Usually, I just dont bother asking questions here any more.
Look at my recent question in this section.