A company wants to sponsor me

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I got a couple emails from a legit company wanting me to show their eyeglasses In my video, I didn’t accept their offer because I have terrible vision and I have to go to my eye doctor who sends my prescription out to this place to get specially made.

I also didn’t want to tell my viewers that those glasses worked when there’s a huge chance they probably won’t for my eyesight and I normally wear contacts I see better with them. I got couple other offers by other company’s since I do a lot of haul videos, but I will only take the offer if I like the product. I don’t want to ever lie to my subscribers and tell them I like a product when I really don’t. I got one company trying to get me to sell their merchandise that has the logo all men are terrible people for their anti men political movement. I don’t believe all men are terrible people and I don’t stand for that movement.

I built a trust with my subscribers and I don’t want to lose it by selling them a product that’s terrible or selling them a product that I don’t stand for.

Last edited:

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I think your making good decision there. Maybe they they will approach you again if they like you and have something thats better fit for your channel. I had quite a big retailer try to bully/ influence my content recently in return for some exposure but no way they boss uhoohextra! :stop2:
Anyway your right.. you have to keep the trust you have built with your subscribers.. good call.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah it's rough, a lot of mobile game promotion offers tend to be for games that I just don't feel comfortable promoting. Sometimes they have in my opinion unethical amounts of micro-transactions or have a reputation as a cashgrab. I don't want my content to help enable all of the low quality mobile games that give mobile a bad reputation. I also seem to get lowballed an absurd amount, socialbluebook says I should be charging over $500 for a dedicated video and almost everything in the last 6 months have been people wanting me to make content for free or vague social media promotion, or "ingame currency". I'm not sure if it's common for YouTubers to get lowballed or if people think I don't know what my value actually is or if socialbluebook isn't that accurate. Maybe my content topics just also don't appeal to many sponsors, or maybe I need to go looking rather than letting them come to me.

If you don't like what they're offering and you believe in your ability to make a great channel than it's better to bet on yourself and wait for something that appeals to you.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah it's rough, a lot of mobile game promotion offers tend to be for games that I just don't feel comfortable promoting. Sometimes they have in my opinion unethical amounts of micro-transactions or have a reputation as a cashgrab. I don't want my content to help enable all of the low quality mobile games that give mobile a bad reputation. I also seem to get lowballed an absurd amount, socialbluebook says I should be charging over $500 for a dedicated video and almost everything in the last 6 months have been people wanting me to make content for free or vague social media promotion, or "ingame currency". I'm not sure if it's common for YouTubers to get lowballed or if people think I don't know what my value actually is or if socialbluebook isn't that accurate. Maybe my content topics just also don't appeal to many sponsors, who knows.

If you don't like what they're offering and you believe in your ability to make a great channel than it's better to bet on yourself and wait for something that appeals to you.
The amount of money they offered was an insult it was 10 cents a pair of glasses.

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
people wanting me to make content for free or vague social media promotion, or "ingame currency". I'm not sure if it's common for YouTubers to get lowballed or if people think I don't know what
It is common practice. There are a lot written (and many jokes) for "exposure" you will get in excange or humiliating 10$ per product as CourtneyCandice says.

on the other hand, starting from 500$ plus production costs will drive you to paperwork, taxes and a lot of demands from your client...

:)

Reactions: OrbitGuy

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
what is socialbluebook mr Orbit?
If you google social blue book you'll find it, what I think it's supposed to do is assist influencers and companies wanting to work with them in finding a fair price or understanding if you are the right person to work with. You link your social media account with them and then they collect key information that companies looking for influencers to partner with would want to see. For example or average views per video, how many views you had in the past month, your number of followers obviously, and also audience demographics so the company can see if you are going to appeal to the people who buy their products.

They give you a suggested price for different types of content such as dedicated upload, shoutout, etc... Either way it lets the company see this data as well so they can decide if you are a good match. It's a tricky topic because the value of each channel to each different company could be totally different depending on if that company thinks they will be an effective partner. I'm not sure how good of a job it does and it would be interesting to hear if anyone has used their price to effectively negotiate.

Last edited:
Reactions: UhoohExtra

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
thanks orbit guy.. I didn't expect you'd write such a detailed reply. Thank you. If you link it to your google account doesn't that mean they have your log on details afterwards?

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
thanks orbit guy.. I didn't expect you'd write such a detailed reply. Thank you. If you link it to your google account doesn't that mean they have your log on details afterwards?
Honestly I can't remember what the process was because I did it a few years ago... but it may have just been the type of thing where you give them some permissions to collect data and view your analytics. Similar to what tubebuddy and VidIQ do would be my guess, I can't remember fully though.

Reactions: UhoohExtra