70 year old Korean lady finds YouTube success

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru

One of South Korea's hottest YouTube stars is a 70-year-old grandmother whose cool, undaunted style and hilarity are a breath of fresh air in a social media universe that frequently exalts youth and perfect looks.

Park Makrye's videos are all about showing off her wrinkles and her elderly life in the raw. Young South Koreans find her so funny and adorable that big companies like Samsung Electronics and Lotte are banking on her popularity.

Despite her new life as a celebrity, she still gets up before dawn to run her diner.

Serving kimchi while clad in a dotted pink top and short skirt with a kitchen hygiene hat on her head, Park isn't exactly the most stylish beauty icon.

Yet, South Koreans love watching her give make-up tutorials, reunite with an old friend or try pasta for the first time in her life in her "Grandma's Diary" YouTube videos

"She's real. She's not fake," said Lee Injae, a 31-year-old living in Seoul. "It's refreshing to see the world through the eyes of a grandmother."

Links:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN8CPzwkYiDVLZlgD4JQgJQ (280k subs)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/korea_grandma/ (112k followers)
Full article and source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/grandma-youtube-star-south-korea-1.4205361

I think this is awesome and it just goes to show that there's no need to be fake or use clickbait to be successful on YouTube. There is a demand for authenticity and interesting people on Youtube. Don't follow the crowd. Be yourself!

Thoughts ?

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Aww I think it's nice see to someone just enjoying making YouTube videos instead of careing about fame!:)

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I remember the original motto of Youtube was "Broadcast Yourself", I'm happy to see there's someone genuinely broadcasting themselves rahter than making up a character or relying on trends or clickbait

Reactions: Crown

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
More grandma's and great grandma's should start making videos

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is awsome and proves you are never to old to start something new. Congrats to her.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Good for her! I love stories like this.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Awww! I love this lady! She's grandma goals! ^^ Plus, I've been suspecting that Korea has the best skincare products, but this lady proves it! She's 70!?!?!? :eek: She looks amazing!

I think it's great that older people are starting to post on YouTube. I see lots of folks my age talk about their life, but it'd be better to have different generations share their experiences and perspectives more.

odabaco

I've Got It
Reaction score
There's a good lesson in this and someone already mentioned it here: be yourself. I say it to my wife all the time as she's trying to keep going with a young channel, find what excites you and film that. The natural exuberance and enthusiasm will be what hooks viewers in. This elderly lady has it all! :)

James Strange

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for posting this!

This did help to make my day!