7 Unique Ways To Increase Video Views

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This guide focuses on how to increase video views on your YouTube videos. I use all of these methods frequently, so I hope you can utilize them as well. Some of this may seem obvious, but ideally a few methods will be new to you.

Remember, not every method will work for EVERY type of channel. Focus on what content you produce and what type of audience you have before going all out with these methods.
I mainly use these methods for videos I REALLY want to be ever-lasting. I don't use them for every video because some of my videos only have a shelf life of a few months before they are irrelevant.

1. Articles are a great way to increase exposure. Not every searcher goes to YouTube for answers. Thousands of views on my channel come from Google results. Yet, it can be hard (at times) to get videos to show up in Google results. This is where articles come in. Even if it's just an article on YTTalk, or another forum, the text content (along with a helpful hyperlink inside of it) can bring searchers from Google, to your video. The text article should directly relate to your video, or even answer what your video answers if it's a guide. It doesn't have to be a solid domain either. I use a free Wordpress with a subdomain for this.
  2. Link Your Articles! If you write an article about a video's content, put the link in the description and in the comments. I usually accompany the comment with "***LIKE THIS COMMENT SO PEOPLE SEE IT***". This assures me that people will in fact see the comment and it totally tricks people into liking the comment which is an indicator to YouTube that people are engaged & interested in your content. 2 birds with 1 stone. You should also say (if you are posting from your own blog) "Make sure you bookmark my blog so you see new content BEFORE it's uploaded to YouTube" < This is great if you make guides or anything news related. Vlog channels can't utilize this method as much.
  3. Social Networking is an obvious tool. If you have followers on Twitter or Facebook, let them know when you upload a sweet video. Don't spam them every time you upload something new. Only notify them every few videos, or whenever you release a video that you KNOW (come on, everyone gets that feeling) is going to be getting views for years to come.
  4. Reddit is a great place. Make sure you find a relateable "subreddit". Don't post ALL of your videos as people will start to ignore you, or you may get banned. Post videos that appeal to the mass public. I use /r/wow which is the subreddit for World of Warcraft.
  5. Hacker News is the second and only mass link distribution site that I use. (news.ycombinator.com) It's basically an RSS Feed that thousands of people are subscribed to. I submit most, if not all links, there as they are all automatically approved. Most of them never stay on the front page for too long as it's more of a tech feed than a gaming feed. They really like mind boggling and thought provoking content, so anything of that sort is PERFECT there. Even the ones that shoot off from the first page quickly get about 100+ views no matter what the link is...just make the title something interesting. So instead of "People RAGING at World of Warcraft" I would call it "Human-Videogame Relationship Study of Emotions". That's what I call a white-lie title.
  6. Asking for Like/Subscribe is a great method for MANY channels and I highly recommend it. A lot of people may say "it's annoying when people ask for likes/subs", but it's worth it in most cases. The issue with the liking and subscribing system is that most people honestly forget about the two features. They like a video, but instead of Liking it or Subscribing, they get distracted by the videos in the related videos or the ones at the end of the video. Here's how I do it. "Thanks for watching, if you hate my video please dislike it & tell me how terrible I am in the comments. If you DID like it, give it a like and subscribe to see more _______ in the future."
  7. Finding "dead channels" to subscriber hijack. This one is controversial, but very good for getting subscribers and viewers. What you do is find YouTube channels that are no longer active, but have videos still getting thousands of views each month. These channels MUST be directly related to the type of content you post. Don't go on a music channel and post "hey check out my minecraft channel." An example of a successful "dead channel hijack" from personal experience goes as follows. A famous YouTuber (for making WoW guides) called TarouWoW quit the game & YouTube to go rescue his family from a foreign country because his wife illegally took them from America. While I do feel bad for his real life troubles, the opportunity was there. I left some comments on a few of his videos that still get thousands of views each week/month basically saying "Hey guys, TarouWoW has had some very unfortunate real life troubles and no longers plays the game. If you'd like to see WoW guides that focus on current and future content, check out my channel. I have X subscribers." You WILL get a lot of hate on those comments from people calling you out for taking advantage of a YouTuber who has left the scene - BUT you'll also get tons of new subscribers and viewers.
I know a couple of these are mainstream methods, but I hope most of them are not. If you liked this article, please let us know in a reply how it's working for you! If you have any suggestions, let me know below so I can update the guide or revise my own personal methods. Thanks :)

WaveMedicine

Short 3-5 minute "funtage" gaming videos.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's funny, there is an article posted today on YTtalk saying the opposite; that you SHOULDN'T comment all around other videos.

I'm sure this may be helpful tips to some and probably worked out in successful favor to the lucky ones, but to me personally this all just screams "NOPE"!

(My opinion) I'm among many who find it all annoying, the comments on other peoples videos and other places asking to "check out their unique and different channel that stands out and will make you laugh", etc. It may gain views, but it has higher potential to ruin statistics. Dislikes, won't watch the video all the way through, troll comments, etc. I feel it just leaves a bad mark on your channel.

Though, I can see a counter argument to this ^ I can respect the dead channel idea. It isn't exactly stealing someone elses glory if they aren't active anymore; but with a hundred other comments saying "check out my channel!", I feel the advertising will be just another annoying comment among every other generic request.

There was a user the other day actually complaining that he advertised his channel around a reddit and said he got some dislikes from it and a lot of other users agreed it is just a bad place. The hungry troll sharks always smelling the blood in the water.

This is just from me hearing others personal experiences. Like I said, my opinions but I wouldn't doubt that some lucky people have been successful in this tactic.

Reactions: Valky

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's funny, there is an article posted today on YTtalk saying the opposite; that you SHOULDN'T comment all around other videos.

I'm sure this may be helpful tips to some and probably worked out in successful favor to the lucky ones, but to me personally this all just screams "NOPE"!

(My opinion) I'm among many who find it all annoying, the comments on other peoples videos and other places asking to "check out their unique and different channel that stands out and will make you laugh", etc. It may gain views, but it has higher potential to ruin statistics. Dislikes, won't watch the video all the way through, troll comments, etc. I feel it just leaves a bad mark on your channel.

Though, I can see a counter argument to this ^ I can respect the dead channel idea. It isn't exactly stealing someone elses glory if they aren't active anymore; but with a hundred other comments saying "check out my channel!", I feel the advertising will be just another annoying comment among every other generic request.

There was a user the other day actually complaining that he advertised his channel around a reddit and said he got some dislikes from it and a lot of other users agreed it is just a bad place. The hungry troll sharks always smelling the blood in the water.

This is just from me hearing others personal experiences. Like I said, my opinions but I wouldn't doubt that some lucky people have been successful in this tactic.
Dislikes are equal to Likes in YouTube's eyes. It counts as an act of engagement, and the more acts of engagement your video has, the more YouTube wants to show it off. So Dislike or Likes, both are valuable. That's why I always say "If you dislike my video please give me a fat dislike" so that it encourages people to help me without knowing it if they didn't like the content.

As for commenting on other channels. Don't go to random channels and just say "check out my channel". Give them a more specific reason. "This video is just like my ___ video on my channel." It gives people a specific reason to go.

I stand by everything I said, but I understand your concerns that the new audience members may not be good for your channel. However, if you advertise your channel for what it is, even if it's in a Reddit thread or a YouTube comment on another video, the people that click it will be doing it because of how you advertised it. So there's a good chance once they arrive at you channel, they'll enjoy the content and boost view-times and maybe even Likes/Dislikes.

WaveMedicine

Short 3-5 minute "funtage" gaming videos.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Dislikes are equal to Likes in YouTube's eyes. It counts as an act of engagement, and the more acts of engagement your video has, the more YouTube wants to show it off.
Not that I'm doubting you here, I actually didn't know that. Is this proven that YouTube will "show off" your video and the dislikes are just as valuable?

petr_ind

Reaction score
These tips are very useful.
I will use them. I have some web and blog that maybe proper to do it.
Thank you

TotallyTatum

Reaction score
I wanted to do #7 on a dead channel that hasn't been used in over a year......and asked about it here and got a ton of NOs don't do it, it's against the rules and all that. Interesting to see the varying opinions in this forum

Flamboyant_Fish

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer
Good tips! Thanks man I'm gonna try some of these out! I hope it works for my channel!

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I wanted to do #7 on a dead channel that hasn't been used in over a year......and asked about it here and got a ton of NOs don't do it, it's against the rules and all that. Interesting to see the varying opinions in this forum
There is nothing against the rules about going on to another person's video and saying "Hey man, this video's great. It inspired me for my newest video about _____" or "Just so everyone knows, this YouTuber is no longer making videos. it's sad, but true. Check out my channel for ____ content instead!".

It's "annoying" to other youtubers and you might get some hate for it, but you also get new subscribers, or at least I have.