6 months on YouTube - My biggest lessons

chubbybots

I've Got It
Reaction score
Very valuable tips! I follow a lot of Roberto's stuff! Point 5 is the hardest especially when you are starting out. It is very disheartening to see that low view for a video that you put so much effort and time into editing. But you will never know when an old video much suddenly become very popular. Also being part of a forum like YT talk with like minded folks helps a lot in going through this phase

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Very valuable tips! I follow a lot of Roberto's stuff! Point 5 is the hardest especially when you are starting out. It is very disheartening to see that low view for a video that you put so much effort and time into editing. But you will never know when an old video much suddenly become very popular. Also being part of a forum like YT talk with like minded folks helps a lot in going through this phase
I fully understand what you mean. I have put a heap of effort in all my films, however it's my oldest and most boring is what has had the most views by a long way!!!

Reactions: chubbybots

chubbybots

I've Got It
Reaction score
I fully understand what you mean. I have put a heap of effort in all my films, however it's my oldest and most boring is what has had the most views by a long way!!!
Indeed!! The one that i personally thought was my worst video turned out to be the one that performed the best!

Reactions: Darren Taylor

WebSam

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Great Tips, I think new people need to just keep creating and stop worrying about all the little things, do what you love and love what you do, everything else will come over time.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Great Tips, I think new people need to just keep creating and stop worrying about all the little things, do what you love and love what you do, everything else will come over time.
Thats the thing hey... "just keep creating"

I am always learning. I know my wife is getting a little tired of me saying" Whoa, look at that light" or she says wanna go down to the beach? and I say " nah, how about at sunset or just before and Dwight the drone needs to come along"

Yeah, I know, I've named my drone. He's actually dwight the second as Dwight the first is now a submarine!!!!!

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
4 - Pay attention to technical gurus
When the likes of Tim Schmoyer, Roberto Blake, Derral Eves, Sean & Benji etc say to do something that works, do it! So many creators watch these channels but don't put their advice into action (I have been guilty of this too) I have only recently had a channel trailer for example (oops) but it has massively increased the rate at which I gain subs.

may I (partially) disagree with nr 4.
Yes there are some technical aspects that one have to learn and those people offer for free.
But in time (let's say a year or two) you will have all those elements in your pocket!
I mean that even those channels are a step forward but nothing more.
If you have the patience to use Youtube help section, academy and google
whatever troubles you, believe me, there are all there in order and by subject...
:)

aliceromy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
7 - Keep showing up
People finding your channel aren't going to trust that you'll be around for a long time, so when you're growing and only have a handful of videos it will be painful at first, but when you keep showing up and uploading, people who find you will be more likely to sub because you've been consistent.
this is so true! it's frustrating when smaller youtubers don't upload consistently, i find it hard to feel invested in what someone is creating when i'm not convinced that they're going to be on Youtube for long.

Reactions: Kruchiver