500 Character Tag Limit

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
How close do you all get to reaching the 500 character tag limit?

I personally don’t get as close as I figured, which is good I suppose since it gives me more space to add on. I was just curious on everyone’s opinions in terms of whether it’s better to try to reach 500 (even if all your tags aren’t as good) or to leave some space for future ones and not add any wordy stuff that doesn’t make much impact?

VidaDeJeremiah

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I try to get as close to 500 as possible. Tagging your videos helps increase visibility so the more tags means the more visibility so to speak. For smaller channels I try to use longer tags that are to rank in so that more people see my video m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I don't think I ever come close to hitting the limit. To be honest I didn't even notice there was a limit until you just mentioned this. I always thought tags showed up so of I used to many the video page would be spammed full of them and annoy people.

Are there good services to use that can help you make tags? TubeBuddy is a good start for me but I only have the freemium version right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I don't think I ever come close to hitting the limit. To be honest I didn't even notice there was a limit until you just mentioned this. I always thought tags showed up so of I used to many the video page would be spammed full of them and annoy people.

Are there good services to use that can help you make tags? TubeBuddy is a good start for me but I only have the freemium version right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah TubeBuddy is pretty great, even for the free version. I use that and rapidtags.

Don in 5

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I always make sure I hit that 500 character limit. I want to make sure I take advantage of the tags for more exposure. Relevant tags that is.

Reactions: videoeditgr

Primink

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
deleted

Last edited:

Reo Lazaro

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
This is something I really need to get onto. I'll have to go through and hit that 500. I know its necessary, it's just thinking of the relevant search terms. Time to get my hands on TubeBuddy.

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
My videos are in most cases highly specialized screencasts dealing with software that helps composing music. I've never hit a character limit with my tags.
I usually put tags like the name of the company and software first, then company, then software, then software genre describing tags, then describing the task, then getting more and more generic.

The tags for my latest video dealing with the Synfire Pro Chord Layering feature, "Synfire Feature Spotlight - How to use Chord Layering in Synfire Pro" are the following:
"Cognitone", "Synfire", "Music Prototyping", "composition", "composing", "polychord", "upper structure", "upper", "structure", "progression", "chords", "harmony", "Synfire Feature Spotlight", "Synfire Pro", "Feature Spotlight", "how to", "how-to", "howto", "screencast", "tutorial", "jazz", "changes", "progressions", "layer", "layers", "layering", "chord layering", "layering chords", "layered chords", "pad", "arpeggio", "stacked".

Does anyone of my fellow creators have an improvement idea for my tags?

VidaDeJeremiah

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My videos are in most cases highly specialized screencasts dealing with software that helps composing music. I've never hit a character limit with my tags.
I usually put tags like the name of the company and software first, then company, then software, then software genre describing tags, then describing the task, then getting more and more generic.

The tags for my latest video dealing with the Synfire Pro Chord Layering feature, "Synfire Feature Spotlight - How to use Chord Layering in Synfire Pro" are the following:
"Cognitone", "Synfire", "Music Prototyping", "composition", "composing", "polychord", "upper structure", "upper", "structure", "progression", "chords", "harmony", "Synfire Feature Spotlight", "Synfire Pro", "Feature Spotlight", "how to", "how-to", "howto", "screencast", "tutorial", "jazz", "changes", "progressions", "layer", "layers", "layering", "chord layering", "layering chords", "layered chords", "pad", "arpeggio", "stacked".

Does anyone of my fellow creators have an improvement idea for my tags?
I would also include your channel name in your tags aswell as well as your full name if that’s what you go by on YouTube. If you get big people might frequently search your name and it’ll be easier for your videos to show up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I would also include your channel name in your tags aswell as well as your full name
I rarely if ever use my given name on YT, mainly my channel name. I suppose YT's search algorithms to be that smart to include channel names when searching for keywords, that's why I did not yet include my (channel or given) name in my videos' tag lists.
Perhaps I should try doing this in future videos. Not yet sure, though.