5 second Content ID

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
It's not necessarily being upset for usage of 5 seconds, they do however want dibs on the revenue. I think many of us would want to monetize our content if it was copied on a wide scale basis.

And we wouldn't be entitled to it.

I'm curious, under the current system if one put together a compilation video involving 5 seconds of audio from multiple claimed sources, let's say 50 different sources. So 250 seconds of audio claimed by different people in ContentID. Which one gets the revenue?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
''
... let's say 50 different sources. Which one gets the revenue?
Is it the rights-holder with the longest amount of time being violated? Is it the first rights-holder filing the claim? I have wondered about that as well.

Gabriel

YouTube Addict
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
And we wouldn't be entitled to it.

I'm curious, under the current system if one put together a compilation video involving 5 seconds of audio from multiple claimed sources, let's say 50 different sources. So 250 seconds of audio claimed by different people in ContentID. Which one gets the revenue?
I'm pretty certain the revenue is split between the copyright holders if territory of ownership is worldwide. Another thing, if a video has say 3 claims against it, 2 being monetize and one being block, the monetize policy will - you could say - have the right of way.

Also some labels have auto-claim policies such as if video contains 10% (or 10 seconds for another example) or more of reference file = monetize. So 5 seconds of a song might not always be matched.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain the revenue is split between the copyright holders if territory of ownership is worldwide. Another thing, if a video has say 3 claims against it, 2 being monetize and one being block, the monetize policy will - you could say - have the right of way.

Also some labels have auto-claim policies such as if video contains 10% (or 10 seconds for another example) or more of reference file = monetize. So 5 seconds of a song might not always be matched.

I suspect that it's a split as well. Which begs the question, when a 3 minute video with 5 seconds of copyrighted content is claimed, why do 100% of the earnings go to the company who claims it. YouTube has no provision for the ownership of the unclaimed portion of the video, namely that of the channel.

Reactions: Gabriel