5+ Million views but terrible payout, WTF going on?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
While you normally have very good comments and provide a good insight, you kind of dropped the ball in this thread and I don't want more misinformation to be spread on this forum.

First of all, you can make more money with the network. Just because you don't know how to do that, it doesn't mean nobody else can. Network can either offer you a signup/re-signup bonus with a good revenue share (90-10%, 95-5% or 100-0%) OR provide additional ad sales on your channel/videos (I've experienced both, first with BBTV and second with CN). I'm sure there are other ways to make some extra money from the network as well.

Second, Epidemic Sound, Monstercat, Soundscapemedia and other reputable websites that provide music all have the same or very similar policy - you will not get hit with any 3rd party claims regardless if you left the network / your subscription expired. In theory, it could still happen, but you will be able to dispute it. Heck, I would say that's one of their main selling points too.
Please excuse me, @Clam...

I am going to have a lot of fun now. I want you to explain to me just how getting at base, a mere fraction of the 55% you would get with Adsense is going to be more money than with Adsense alone?

90-10 is still only 90% of the 55% the network gets, once YouTube has taken their 45% cut after all. Secondly, not all networks are set up to do outside lucrative ad deals. Maker Studios used to have "earning opportunites" that involved creating videos in order promote Disney events, or show off Disney products; but if that type of video was outside of your normal creation niche, few to no one in your personal audience would watch those videos because they would know these were not "you". It was eyes on the event or product they were after; and the "best performing" videos were the ones which earned the extra money.

Signup/re-signup bonuses, in case you haven't noticed, are reserved for larger (1 million plus) subscriber channels; small channels are never offered them!

You also failed to read @Yachts For Sale's post where he made a direct quote from Epidemic Sound which stated that what he used while a network member was his forever; but he wasn't allowed any new use of ES music once he left the network!

I honestly also don't know where you were trying to go with the second quote from my post. The entire reason I briefly did outside licensing of RF Music for my own videos rather than go with the network's offerings of RF music, was that literally nothing on offer matched my video type!

I am a hypnotherapist and sound healer; not a gamer; not a Top 10'er; not a product or game reviewer, and most definitely not a vlogger. Most of ES's or the earlier AudioMicro music even if it had been long enough (some of my hypnosis sessions top half an hour), was too fast, and too loud and/or the wrong theme type for my use.

I now make a few hundred a year more than I used to: because the music I create myself is now on the Royaty Free Market through Shockwave Sound!

Now...who did you say it was providing misinformation?

Last edited:

Clam-

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I am going to have a lot of fun now. I want you to explain to me just how getting at base, a mere fraction of the 55% you would get with Adsense is going to be more money than with Adsense alone?

90-10 is still only 90% of the 55% the network gets, once YouTube has taken their 45% cut after all. Secondly, not all networks are set up to do outside lucrative ad deals. Maker Studios used to have "earning opportunites" that involved creating videos in order promote Disney events, or show off Disney products; but if that type of video was outside of your normal creation niche, few to no one in your personal audience would watch those videos because they would know these were not "you". It was eyes on the event or product they were after; and the "best performing" videos were the ones which earned the extra money.

Signup/re-signup bonuses, in case you haven't noticed, are reserved for larger (1 million plus) subscriber channels; small channels are never offered them!
As someone who was (and still is) both on a 100-0% deal and received an initial sign-up bonus at roughly 25k subscribers and another bonus after the first year, I had a lot of fun reading your comment. ;) I really don't understand what's your point? You're just spreading misinformation and well, lies. As a matter of fact, I recently talked to someone here on YTTalk who has a medium sized channel (150-200k subs) and was offered a sign-up bonus as well, together with high revenue share. On top of that, the company I currently work for is also in negotiation with a YouTube network and is currently offered 90-0% deal with $2.5k bonus with 207k subs, but very low monthly viewership - but that's only their initial offer and I'm sure I can get it up higher, but based on rough calculations, with a 90-0% deal and 3k sign-up bonus, the company is actually set to make profit from this deal because they're not going to generate more than $30k in YouTube revenue.

Bonuses aside, another way to make money, just like I said, is from additional ad sales. While I was part of the Creative Nation network back in the good days, we often received two payments - one from AdSense payment and other from additional ads that were running on our videos. Back then when the payments were in three digit numbers, receiving ad sales payments ranging from $200 to 650 was a pretty nice thing and actually made it worth giving up those few % of revenue share.

I'm sure there are other ways networks can make money for YouTube creators, otherwise huge channels wouldn't be partnered. So there you go, there are two ways that I know where going with network rather than just AdSense can actually make you more money.

You also failed to read @Yachts For Sale's post where he made a direct quote from Epidemic Sound which stated that what he used while a network member was his forever; but he wasn't allowed any new use of ES music once he left the network!

I honestly also don't know where you were trying to go with the second quote from my post.

Now...who did you say it was providing misinformation?
You are providing misinformation. The reason I quoted that part is because what you said was wrong, you advised Yachts For Sale to replace the audio he used but there's absolutely no need for that. He can't use Epidemic Sounds in future uploads, but his older videos, while he was part of the network, are perfectly fine! Here is what's written on Epidemic Sounds website and so far I haven't had any problems with them.

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE VIDEOS I’VE UPLOADED ONTO YOUTUBE IF I CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION?
All videos created with our music during your subscription and uploaded to YouTube are cleared world wide in perpetuity, you don’t have to worry about any future claims!

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As someone who was (and still is) both on a 100-0% deal and received an initial sign-up bonus at roughly 25k subscribers and another bonus after the first year, I had a lot of fun reading your comment.
With which networks are you working/negotiating? If it's a secret, PM me.

constant

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey people, just thought I needed help, I know there was the boycott and what not, but things were supposed to get much better by now, according to youtube analytics and socialblade, I have over 5 million views in the last 30 days. I just got paid out $1700

$1700 for 5.5 million views!? you serious? I'm with adsense and not any network, last year in December I got paid 4k dollars for 4 million views. I got paid over twice less now for over 1 million more views... this is a joke, could anyone explain this?

Also I have 2 new videos which both have 400k views, I checked how much I earned from them, and the total revenue from each of these is roughly $70. that's ridiculous since other older of my videos are basically $1 per 1000 views.
bruh just be happy youre making money doing what youre doing, many people out there that would love to be getting 2000 dollars for doing what theyre doing on youtube , plus its not always 1000 views = 1 dollar, its also about retention and how many people watch your videos all the way thru to the end, how many subs are coming back to watch your videos, whos watching your ads , and whos skipping them , they all come into play when it comes to adsense, you can have a video with 500,000 views and make 1.7k if the right boxes are checked

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
As someone who was (and still is) both on a 100-0% deal and received an initial sign-up bonus at roughly 25k subscribers and another bonus after the first year, I had a lot of fun reading your comment.
So you are getting your full 55% after YouTube takes its cut. Good for you!
The reason I quoted that part is because what you said was wrong, you advised Yachts For Sale to replace the audio he used but there's absolutely no need for that.
I never told him to replace the music in the videos he had already published. That statement is a misinterpretation on YOUR part. I was telling @Yachts For Sale to look for a replacement RF audio outlet to use once he had exited the network. It's not my fault if you choose to re-interpret my words to fit your scenario.
As a matter of fact, I recently talked to someone here on YTTalk who has a medium sized channel (150-200k subs) and was offered a sign-up bonus as well, together with high revenue share.
That is still a very high sub count compared to most of us. Answer this: I currently have <6000 subs. Would I be offered such a sign-up bonus? That was what I meant when I said small channels. 10K subs or less!
Bonuses aside, another way to make money, just like I said, is from additional ad sales. While I was part of the Creative Nation network back in the good days, we often received two payments - one from AdSense payment and other from additional ads that were running on our videos.
In case you've forgotten, going outside the Google Advertiser Network for additional ad placement on YouTube videos was made illegal by YouTube Admin at the end of 2015?

Look. I know you want to prove that you know more about MCN monetization than I do; but a few isolated special cases are not proof of majority rule. Go and Google some of this stuff and stop the flame war attempt. I have better things to do with my time, and I know what both I and others have experienced in general; whereas you keep insisting that your own experience is the wider rule which applies to all.

Give us some documented proof of majority rule on your words, or let this thread go back to the graveyard where I thought I had left it!

(At least I don't go around calling other people liars and fail to provide undeniable proof of why I am saying that)

Last edited:

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In case you've forgotten, going outside the Google Advertiser Network for additional ad placement on YouTube videos was made illegal by YouTube Admin at the end of 2015?
"Some MCNs also offer additional revenue opportunities, such as brand sponsorships or dedicated sales teams, that may contribute to higher overall earnings for your channel. If a network offers you these services, you may wish to make sure they are specified in your contract."

Quoted from here - support. google. com/youtube/answer/2737059?hl=en

So you're saying that Youtube hasn't updated their own support page for 2years? If so proof, please.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I don't think I would ever use youtube as my sole outcome. As others point out:

-get sponsorship's. If you do history then do stuff with museums. you'd be surprised how many sponsored projects and events you could do with your niche.
-use youtube ad revenue but as an added supplement.
-do affiliate programs. as someone pointed let's say you get a 10% cut in a $50 product. $10. Now say 10 people out of 5000 buy it. You've pretty much just made $50 out of 5000 views which is sweet. Although that is truly unrealistic since you'll get more like $20 for 5000 views.
-patreon patreon patreon. if people like you, they wouldn't mind donating to you.

have a part-time job or something on the side to at least add to your funds. add some of your youtube money to a stock account and let it grow. get dividend stocks. let your money work for you.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
"Some MCNs also offer additional revenue opportunities, such as brand sponsorships or dedicated sales teams, that may contribute to higher overall earnings for your channel. If a network offers you these services, you may wish to make sure they are specified in your contract."

Quoted from here - support. google. com/youtube/answer/2737059?hl=en

So you're saying that Youtube hasn't updated their own support page for 2years? If so proof, please.
Et tu, Brutus?
No I am not saying that YouTube hasn't updated their support page in two years (I did wonder if you were planning to jump onto this attempted dogpile, Ed); What I said as you so kindly quoted was: "In case you've forgotten, going outside the Google Advertiser Network for additional ad placement on YouTube videos was made illegal by YouTube Admin at the end of 2015?"

This means that even those "dedicated sales teams" MUST do their sales within the Google Advertiser Network, which eliminates completely, the "dual income stream" @Clam spoke of in the case of ad sales. Any such dedicated team sales will now be added to the main Adsense revenue which will go to the Network's coffers after YouTube takes its cut. Brand Sponsorships have always been allowed; but as of late 2015, a new checkbox appeared in the Creator Studio to be checked if a video contains a Branded Sponsorship (This Video Contains a Paid Product Placement or Promotion). It was also added to the posting rules at that point that both the video description and the video itself must contain a declaration that the video was sponsored by a product or brand. Sponsorship monies would now be the only dual income stream type a video itself can generate.

Some creators now sell merchandise which combined with sponsorship would indeed constitute a third income stream. If you are lucky and eloquent enough to do speaking engagements, or set yourself up as a YT "Tech Guru" and sell courses, this would constitute a fourth stream. I myself have music placements on Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes, and other digital outlets; plus have placements in a Royalty Free Music library; but these are musician-specific streams not open to every YouTube Creator.

Speaking of networks, they are out there to make money yes?

I am wondering just how a network makes money on a 100-0 rev share...

Last edited:
Reactions: CousinEd

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This means that even those "dedicated sales teams" MUST do their sales within the Google Advertiser Network, which eliminates completely, the "dual income stream" @Clam spoke of. Any such dedicated team sales will now be added to the main Adsense revenue which will go to the Network's coffers after YouTube takes its cut.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm still learning.

Speaking of networks, they are out there to make money yes?

I am wondering just how a network makes money on a 100-0 rev share...
They recruit high profile channels so that they can use them for credibility and promotion. Only ~20 channels with those splits should be enough.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Thanks for the explanation. I'm still learning.

They recruit high profile channels so that they can use them for credibility and promotion. Only ~20 channels with those splits should be enough.
Ed, I learn something new every time YouTube Admin chooses to change the playing field layout and the rules of the game. By the way, the playing field layout is in the middle of the next change. Have you tried it yet?