5+ Million views but terrible payout, WTF going on?

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
You and I obviously think along very similar lines.

I downloaded a track from Epidemic music a few days ago with the intention of using it for a video blog next week. Epidemic emailed me to remind me to credit them, so I emailed back asking whether the copyright would still stand if I were to terminate my agreement with BBTV in the future. I received an automated response saying that they are located in Sweden so unable to reply until Monday ( I emailed them yesterday).

Thankfully I have never used them before, most of my videos are produced by a production company and we pay for copyrights as and when we need to. Usually just $20 - $30.

VERY cool that you can produce your own music, and better still that it is starting to bring in some income. I have a couple of friends loosely connected to the music industry, so have asked them to look out for talented young bands that write their own music and want to be discovered. I would love to improve the quality of the music on my videos, and if I can find something suitable I would happily credit the band in the description. My "hero videos" usually get a good level of views, and I was recently the subject of a retweet by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May...so I guess I'm reaching the right audience!

Reactions: UKHypnotist

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
@UKHypnotist , I received a reply from Epidemic Music:

"All videos that are published with Epidemic Sound music during the term of the agreement can be made available forever, on YouTube, worldwide.

When the agreement is terminated you are, however, no longer allowed to upload new videos with Epidemic Sound music that was downloaded when you previously had a subscription."

I think I'll credit them in the description on this video to be on the safe side, but will not use them on too many future videos just in case it does become an issue in the future!

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician

"All videos that are published with Epidemic Sound music during the term of the agreement can be made available forever, on YouTube, worldwide.

When the agreement is terminated you are, however, no longer allowed to upload new videos with Epidemic Sound music that was downloaded when you previously had a subscription."

I think I'll credit them in the description on this video to be on the safe side, but will not use them on too many future videos just in case it does become an issue in the future!
Sounds like the "safe way to play it" if you ask me! Bedtime for me now. Sweet Dreams to all at YTTalk!

Johnny Dee

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hey, I checked out your channel and I didn't,t see any million views

Talentsy

Reaction score

Epidemic Sound are good people, you don't have anything to worry about :)

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

Clam-

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hpw in the world can you make more with a network when your income is set to be double-cut as soon as you join one?

Adsense: YouTube takes its cut and you get the rest.

Network: YouTube takes its cut. Then network takes its cut from what is left! Finally you, the YouTuber get the leftovers.

If I were you, I would rethink what you just said. I was with a network for over 4 years and I know how they work.
You realize that when you leave the network, your right to use the Epidemic Sound clips will expire with your membership; yes? Start looking for replacement audio now if you've used any of the ES clips; you don't want to have to start disputing Content IDs left and right.

I started making my own music due to getting tired of paying to license Royalty Free sound clips, and ended up with another income stream when Shockwave Sound decided to pick up some of my catalog.
While you normally have very good comments and provide a good insight, you kind of dropped the ball in this thread and I don't want more misinformation to be spread on this forum.

First of all, you can make more money with the network. Just because you don't know how to do that, it doesn't mean nobody else can. Network can either offer you a signup/re-signup bonus with a good revenue share (90-10%, 95-5% or 100-0%) OR provide additional ad sales on your channel/videos (I've experienced both, first with BBTV and second with CN). I'm sure there are other ways to make some extra money from the network as well.

Second, Epidemic Sound, Monstercat, Soundscapemedia and other reputable websites that provide music all have the same or very similar policy - you will not get hit with any 3rd party claims regardless if you left the network / your subscription expired. In theory, it could still happen, but you will be able to dispute it. Heck, I would say that's one of their main selling points too.

Last edited:

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Network can either offer you a signup/re-signup bonus with a good revenue share (90-0%, 95-0% or 100-0%) OR provide additional ad sales on your channel/videos (I've experienced both, first with BBTV and second with CN)
I'm not sure what you mean by a 90-0% revenue share...Shouldn't that be a 90-10% revenue share?

My beef with BBTV is that I just can't understand exactly what they are doing to promote my channel. If they are promoting the channel in some way I would like to know exactly how? If they are providing additional ad sales I would like to know how many they are providing and in what form?

You have obviously enjoyed a more positive experience with them so it would be great if you wouldn't mind sharing how you accomplished this and how you measured the results of being with a network compared with using adsense directly.

My channel is nowhere near as big as yours, but it is growing rapidly and consistently so I'd like to make an informed decision before I jump ship.

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My beef with BBTV is that I just can't understand exactly what they are doing to promote my channel
Is there something written in your contract about promotion? No? Then don't expect it.

If they are providing additional ad sales I would like to know how many they are providing and in what form?
Again, contract. Otherwise, your MCN's customer support should help you out.

You have obviously enjoyed a more positive experience with them so it would be great if you wouldn't mind sharing how you accomplished this and how you measured the results of being with a network compared with using AdSense directly.
I would estimate about 99.99% YouTubers don't know what to ask when they negotiate with an MCN. For example,
you should ask about;
  1. Their AdSales team and split. Payment method.
  2. What kind of promotion can they provide? (times a week, month? Twitter or their own YT channel, homepage?)
  3. Their own network split. Signup bonus if you are a big channel.
  4. Customer support. In a case of a big channel, ask for a 24/7 service.
  5. Talent agent? Sponsorships.
  6. Everything they have offered, must be written into a contract. Recheck yourself multiple times. Ask for assistance from a lawyer.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Thanks @CousinEd , like many others I didn't take the contract with BBTV seriously enough since my channel was so small when I signed up. I'm more than happy to take my losses on the chin and not complain about it, but I'm curious about @Clam- 's implied comment that he has successfully made more revenue with BBTV than he would have done without them.
Your advice is good, and I may see if I can get the attention of BBTV to renegotiate the terms. In particularly tying them down to a commitment to promote my channel on their own social media.
Hopefully they will see the potential for growth that my channel has and be reasonable...if not I'll be parting ways with them.