5 Advanced SEO Tips for Established Creators

Zack Wellman

Graphic Designer
Advanced SEO Tips for Established YouTubers

Hello everyone! Sorry that it’s been a while since I posted an article, today I’ll be giving you guys a couple of advanced SEO techniques to help your channel get a small boost know that you’re off your feet. Now I have simply "dumbed down" a much more advanced article, so yeah.

These tips won’t help new YouTuber’s as much, but it is good to get into these practices early.

Okay. So enough chit-chat, let’s get into it.

1 – Write super long video descriptions.

This might seem like overkill, but it honestly works. Most SEO strategists recommend about 200 or more words in your description, packed with SEO gold and content that relates to the topic at hand.

short-description.png

Unfortunately, these type of descriptions are quite common, even on smaller channels. Luckily for WatchMojo, they can get away with bad SEO as their presence is already set in concrete and an established fanbase has already been made. In short terms; their fans promote for them.

Descriptions like this aren’t hard to do; here’s a few examples.

Gaming Video – Describe the game you’re playing in 100 words or less, provide a link to the game and if appropriate, a short written summary of the previous episode in case someone missed it.
If you do that, provide a link to the previous video to help backtrack views and keep all episodes active, this will help you out tonnes in the long run.

Vlogger / Reviewer – Provide a brief summary of the topic you will be talking about, provide links or other pieces of text that will help viewers establish an opinion or gain knowledge on the subject at hand in order for them to understand and enjoy the video completely.

Make sure to provide links to related articles or videos, and reference the original creators to boost your reputation as a creator. Referencing other peoples work can also get you praise from them, as they usually enjoy seeing their work utilized by someone else.

Musicians – Once again, a summary of the song/s they’re going to hear. Detail your inspirations, the way you wrote it and the tools you used to do so. This helps answer most technical-related questions, and also keeps other musicians in the loop so they can give you detailed and proper feedback. Trust me, it works.

2 – Keywords, Keywords, Keywords.

You’ve probably heard this thrown around lots, but there’s a reason. Keywords can and will bring viewers to your videos, but this won’t work if you don’t know how to use them properly.

Many years ago, it was common to see people pump their descriptions full of tags thinking it would work. Unfortunately for them, all it does is a waste a lot of time writing a bulk paragraph full of random crap.

You need to be smart; making a video about how god damn adorable cats are? Here’s what your title currently looks like.

Ten rezuns cats r adorable- #JennyPostsVideos69HAHA69OMGSoz

Here’s what Jenny’s title should look like.

Adorable Cats – 10 Reasons They’re Adorable.

By placing the main keyword at the front of the video, you’re opening yourself up to instant recognition and a higher click-through rate. People don’t read through an entire article just to get their information in the last sentence? By putting it at the front, people see it instantly and click.

Simple. I don’t think this needs any more explaining.

3 - Utilize Video Communities & Creator Forums

Oh yeah, you're already in the right place. YTtalk is a perfect example of such a community, and I am a perfect example of how such a forum can help out. By developing a reputation on these forums for not only high quality, hilarious content. I also posted articles like this,, and developed a "brand" of quality resources and articles.

By doing this, I garnered over 450 subscribers (Goal signature says 440 because I was to slack to change it) and 16,000 views in just over 5 months. Of course, quality content helped, but posting and sharing tips and advice in places like this is a great place to start, and people will click through to see if you've implemented your own advice.

Warning; this wasn't meant to be self promotion. Just using myself as an example.

You don't have to be a whiz at something to post great threads; simply start a conversation with other members! Taking part in mega-threads, commenting on peoples introductions and checking out videos and leaving feedback can help you out too.

People like returning the favour: that doesn't mean go out and comment "Good job!" on thousands of videos expecting it in return, if you truly like someones content, tell them why! If you don't give them feedback as to what you didn't like so they can improve.

Simple gestures can help, lots. I put this in the Advanced SEO because it is actually Search Engine Optimization. Embedding your videos, profile and other links on a high-traffic website can actually boost your channel and your videos.

4 - Encourage Call-to-Actions in your videos!
For those that don't know, your video gets ranked on a multitude of factors. People once believed this was subscribers, but it turns out in the new algorithm the following matter most;
  • Audience Retention
  • Likes / Dislikes
  • Comments & Engagement
  • Description & Title
Basically, a video is only successful if it has the potential to be. YouTube places the video under watch for a week to track it's growing; this helps them decide as to whether or not they should start promoting it more throughout the site. The better a video performs, the more places it will show up. This is the reason good videos show at the top of the search results, because from early on the engagement and SEO was on point.

It only takes a couple of simple steps to achieve such performance; good a/v quality, good SEO and of course, good promotion strategies.

5 - Create Playlists loaded with Keywords
The only thing worse than bad SEO is an unorganized channel. Leaving all of your videos out like last nights dinner leaves an immediate bad first impression, so creating organized and well-maintained playlists is a key component to running a successful channel.

But there is also something else you need to do; and that is to load the playlist full of related keywords. If you haven't figured it out, more text based content = more viewers. So packing your channel full of the most information possible on your chosen genre is really, really important.

Example; FitnessBlender. Their channel is organized into keyword rich playlists, and with over 100,000 views on each of their videos it's safe to say they are a good example of this.

playlists-by-fitnessblender.png

You should start working on your playlists once there is 10 or more videos on your channel. That way you can get into the habit early and give yourself a quick boost.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, that's the end of today's article! Like I said, I did dumb down the tips from a different article, but I've just adapted and shortened it for the YTtalk community.

So in saying that, credit to Brian Dean for the OC: http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/ho...-to-drive-more-traffic-to-your-videos-website

If you'd like to read more articles in the Graphic Design 101 series, simply go to the main index below.

http://yttalk.com/threads/graphic-design-101-article-index.161371/

Good stuff here! I'll be sure to go back through all my videos and really chalk them up full of informative content, in the video description. I guess that really would make a difference! Thanks!

Excellently-written post on SEO. I myself try to do all this for my videos, (it's a struggle at the best of times!) and have been seeing much better results than my channel's earlier videos back when I was a bit more inexperienced.

Back