4K as future proofing videos

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
i just got a 4K camera! Yay for me right? But I was thinking about it and as 4K becomes the standard, albeit slowly, what does the future hold for all the videos on YouTube in 480 or 720, even 1080? I think now, it's gotten to the point where some people, maybe those watching in a TV, won't bother watching low-res videos, unless it's a real one of a kind thing. So as things move on, I wonder out loud if starting 4K now will help ensure a longer life for a video. Yea there's 8K after that and 29 million K after that but those are still way off.

Does resolution matter to you? Why or why not? What is the level of tolerance for resultion for you?

chrispcgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i just got a 4K camera! Yay for me right? But I was thinking about it and as 4K becomes the standard, albeit slowly, what does the future hold for all the videos on YouTube in 480 or 720, even 1080? I think now, it's gotten to the point where some people, maybe those watching in a TV, won't bother watching low-res videos, unless it's a real one of a kind thing. So as things move on, I wonder out loud if starting 4K now will help ensure a longer life for a video. Yea there's 8K after that and 29 million K after that but those are still way off.

Does resolution matter to you? Why or why not? What is the level of tolerance for resultion for you?
Yup it matters to me even with slow internet.

I'm moving up to 1440p because I'm buying a GTX 1070 in a few weeks.

Reactions: Gaijillionaire

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
1080p is still king, imo. I don't see many YouTubers, even the big ones, uploading in 4k just yet.

But if you have a 4k camera that doesn't overheat, and a powerful enough computer to handle it, and you don't mind the slow upload and processing times, then I'd say go for it, because it definitely is the future of HDTV.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other

I watch a variety of types of videos. Some of my favorite channels still make some crappy quality videos that I still like, but in the back of my mine I'm like "bro, it's 2017, stop recording videos with a pager or a fax machine". Quality helps a lot, but it is not necessary. It is just one of the factors that make a video that much better. My top viewed videos are terrible quality! One is 144P (I didn't know that was a thing) and I think 240P. These days the lowest I shoot is 720P when I'm doing super slow motion with my GoPro or iPhone, but a majority of it is 1080p or higher.

I don't think 1080p will be considered "low quality" even when 4k gets bigger for a long time.

Gaijillionaire

Reaction score
Channel Type
1080p is still king, imo. I don't see many YouTubers, even the big ones, uploading in 4k just yet.

But if you have a 4k camera that doesn't overheat, and a powerful enough computer to handle it, and you don't mind the slow upload and processing times, then I'd say go for it, because it definitely is the future of HDTV.
Yea, I think if you're doing a game, it's not needed but it's a leg up

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I would love to get a 4k camera. The only thing I have for 4k is my iphone but I want a real one like blackmagic. Then I can film on SD cards in 4K and then I have more resolution to zoom in during post without as much pixilation

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
My computer nor my Internet could handle 4k even if I had a camera that could film it haha

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Since my internet connection is garbage I often have issues with 720p videos, let alone 1080p, 4k is totally out of my league. (As a matter of fact, I'd rather go 720p 60FPS than 1080p 30FPS) but yes, 4K will eventually become the standard and all the 720/1080p will become a curious relic of the past, people will think what we think now when we see a 240p video.
Amusing coincidence there's a thread like this, because I'm also in the serious need of a proper camera, what I currently use gets all noisy in my low lightning conditions and can only record up to 30 FPS, so it's well below the standards I'd like to have. We shall see.

Gaijillionaire

Reaction score
Channel Type
Since my internet connection is garbage I often have issues with 720p videos, let alone 1080p, 4k is totally out of my league. (As a matter of fact, I'd rather go 720p 60FPS than 1080p 30FPS) but yes, 4K will eventually become the standard and all the 720/1080p will become a curious relic of the past, people will think what we think now when we see a 240p video.
Amusing coincidence there's a thread like this, because I'm also in the serious need of a proper camera, what I currently use gets all noisy in my low lightning conditions and can only record up to 30 FPS, so it's well below the standards I'd like to have. We shall see.
Good luck on getting a new one.

As a side note, the earliest TV sets only had 30 scan lines so we're pretty lucky either way!

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Maybe 360 VR will be the thing that makes flat video obsolete?

Reactions: Noobzilla