4K 60fps uploads?

James Doppler

Sir Trollingsworth the 7th
I tried uploading a video that's 4K and 60fps. I know YouTube can play that, but it went up over 12 hours ago and you can still only view it in 1080p.

It was 9 minutes long and 9GB. A test clip to see how it would look. Raw OBS recording, no edits.

not worth it to begin with, who is gonna watch it? Most people view on their phones and or tablets.

i've seen some people post in 4k 60fps...but the problem is it takes FOREVER to load, even on an incredible connection. that's why most people stick with a slightly lower resolution and still keep a higher framerate

not worth it to begin with, who is gonna watch it? Most people view on their phones and or tablets.

By 2024 it's estimated that over 50% of households will own a 4k tv, and many phones already go beyond 1080p. 4K monitors are also fairly popular. Besides, I'm playing the games in 4K, so why not record them in 4K and be future proof?

i've seen some people post in 4k 60fps...but the problem is it takes FOREVER to load, even on an incredible connection. that's why most people stick with a slightly lower resolution and still keep a higher framerate
Connection speeds are only going to increase, though. A lot of people can handle it, and I want to provide content. 200MBPS here and it plays just fine.

A lot of old movies were filmed in 4K and we're just now getting to see them like that, so if I had the technology, I'd be recording at 8K 120fps, downscaling to 4K 60fps, and holding onto the originals to re-release when YouTube has thever technology.

TL;DR I want people to see it as I'm seeing it even if they are able to now or in the future when they inevitably upgrade. Is it just a really long process, or are there requirements for uploading in 4K?

I tried uploading a video that's 4K and 60fps. I know YouTube can play that, but it went up over 12 hours ago and you can still only view it in 1080p.

Are you trying to watch the uploaded video on a 4k monitor? If your monitor is not 4k capable, then you will only see a 1080p option. At least that is my current understanding.

Are you trying to watch the uploaded video on a 4k monitor? If your monitor is not 4k capable, then you will only see a 1080p option. At least that is my current understanding.

My monitor is the 4K television in the living room. Other 4K 60fps videos play. I was watching some earlier. I read in the comments of a youtube video about uploading in 4K that it can take up to 72+ hours to process the 4K. If they don't process it by Wednesday, I'll probably attempt 30fps and see what happens. I tried two more tests, one with a bitrate and everything optimized to YouTube standards, but neither are 4k yet. I even double checked the resolution in video properties before uploading.

It finally went. I also learned when I rendered them through Premiere, a 2min30 video took two hours to be 4k60p, whereas a 13 second clip took 2-3 days with the raw source. Some 4-5. I guess it's an OBS thing because Premiere rendered it with a matched source and bit rate. The file sizes are similar as well. Makes sense that they'd be better at reencoding things from Premiere or Vegas since most people edit their videos.

I agree..not worth it. How often do you really watch youtube on your desktop. Everyone is using mobile. I shoot 4K but I render in 1080p

Back