30 Seconds of Copyrighted Music!

Super Pawsitive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Barring certain fair use reasons, taking a video down for 10 seconds of material used without permission is perfectly valid. It is the ContentID monetization theft where they choose to leave the content up but take 100% of the revenue that is the real problem.
I should have worded the last statement better.

Now try to justify giving your friend the entire cake, for only giving you sugar.

Now try to justify giving all ad-revenue to (x) for 10 seconds of copyrighted music in an hour long video.

Reactions: HashtagConn

HashtagConn

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
"Copyright sucks" what?, what if i came into your house and took a sip of your soda and put it back in the fridge, i will tell everyone it tasted good(Give you credit) but i cant give you back that sip. I cant explain it any clearer than how i just did, dont use copyright anything because its not yours.
Don't get me wrong , if I was a musician I'd be p****d off if someone used my music without acknowledging that it belonged to me! But what harm is one sip of juice bro? Lmao, plus music and juice are completely different. No, you can't get juice back. Yes, you can rewind a video to listen to a song or even look up the artist online and buy the song from them. However, I kind of get what your saying and I understand that the content is obviously not mine.[DOUBLEPOST=1407100042,1407099739][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nah, there is a valid argument for some of it. Reviews are a good example. The OP just has no comprehension of what copyright means. Long and short of it is there is no such "under X seconds is ok" rule.
Lmao! Dude, I understand what copyright is. I should have revised my post to ask only about personal experience in this matter. No need to try and make me look stupid by saying I have "no comprehension of what copyright means." Only love, bro!

EDIT: I should've also mentioned that I am currently not making any money from ad revenues.

KRS props

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't feel like this analogy is a good one, so let me offer you one that might be a bit better.

It's like baking a cake. There are many ingredients that go into baking a cake. You have the milk, the eggs, the flour, the butter...but no sugar. So you go to your friend and you ask if you could borrow some of his sugar, and in return you invite him to SOME of your cake. You don't invite him to have the entire cake, because most of the ingredients were YOURS.

Now try to justify taking down an hour long video for 10 seconds of copyrighted music.
you make a valid argument that its annoying that they can make you take down a whole video when you only use a few seconds of copyright material...

but really when you made the video, you KNEW you were using copyright music or footage, why do that in the first place? If you get annoyed by having to take those videos down why dont you just not put any copyright material in it in the first place and you will never have to take any videos down!

you have some right to use copyright material if you are filming a review of said content but otherwise you have no right to use any amount of copyright material in a video, even if you only used 10 seconds in a 5 hours long marathon of a video the law still applies

Super Pawsitive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
you make a valid argument that its annoying that they can make you take down a whole video when you only use a few seconds of copyright material...

but really when you made the video, you KNEW you were using copyright music or footage, why do that in the first place? If you get annoyed by having to take those videos down why dont you just not put any copyright material in it in the first place and you will never have to take any videos down!

you have some right to use copyright material if you are filming a review of said content but otherwise you have no right to use any amount of copyright material in a video, even if you only used 10 seconds in a 5 hours long marathon of a video the law still applies
I insist that gaming footage is a transformative medium. Where, unlike film, television, or even music. The game constantly changes with each individual playthrough. Making each run of the game unique in it's own way and allowing for multiple views on the same topic. Which is why a LOT of developers are ok with allowing Lets Plays on YouTube happen. They know that not only can people make a living off of their content, but that they can get a LOT of publicity for letting them simply advertise their game. It may encourage users to purchase the game YouTube content creators are founded upon.

As for using copyrighted music:
If it's from the game I'm reviewing, than I should be able to criticize the music if I please. Though if it's specifically added by myself than I understand those consequences and the videos revenue is taken away rightfully.

Nintendo is the biggest culprit at the moment for this crime. Their most recent copyright policies enforcing the idea that they do not want YouTube content creators to make revenue from their gaming content. As soon as Nintendo stepped into the YouTube content ID system a lot of Nintendo based videos have been getting flagged simply for the music playing in the background of the game.

Personally, as a Nintendo enthusiast. I think this is wrong.

Honestly, Nintendo doesn't need to take any revenue from their existing content creators. A lot of this policy that Nintendo implemented is silencing their audience. Ever since it was implemented, even channels based solely on Nintendo had to stop creating content for a while just so they could keep their job and actually make revenue for videos.

Nintendo has actually noticed the uproar they caused and are in the process of making the "Nintendo Affiliate Program", where they're going to allow content creators to make revenue off of their content, while still giving some money to Nintendo.

Another thing I don't agree with. Though I'll get into that another time. I'm tired of typing.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As soon as Nintendo stepped into the YouTube content ID system a lot of Nintendo based videos have been getting flagged simply for the music playing in the background of the game.
The reason that audio gets flagged is because it is the easiest thing for scanning algorithms to detect.

As for right's holders getting 100% of the revenue, I have a big problem with that as well. On the other hand, the right's holders have the right to determine how their content is being used.

That doesn't count reviews, criticism or other forms of fair-use. That decision is for the legal system to decide.

KRS props

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I insist that gaming footage is a transformative medium. Where, unlike film, television, or even music. The game constantly changes with each individual playthrough. Making each run of the game unique in it's own way and allowing for multiple views on the same topic. Which is why a LOT of developers are ok with allowing Lets Plays on YouTube happen. They know that not only can people make a living off of their content, but that they can get a LOT of publicity for letting them simply advertise their game. It may encourage users to purchase the game YouTube content creators are founded upon.

As for using copyrighted music:
If it's from the game I'm reviewing, than I should be able to criticize the music if I please. Though if it's specifically added by myself than I understand those consequences and the videos revenue is taken away rightfully.

Nintendo is the biggest culprit at the moment for this crime. Their most recent copyright policies enforcing the idea that they do not want YouTube content creators to make revenue from their gaming content. As soon as Nintendo stepped into the YouTube content ID system a lot of Nintendo based videos have been getting flagged simply for the music playing in the background of the game.

Personally, as a Nintendo enthusiast. I think this is wrong.

Honestly, Nintendo doesn't need to take any revenue from their existing content creators. A lot of this policy that Nintendo implemented is silencing their audience. Ever since it was implemented, even channels based solely on Nintendo had to stop creating content for a while just so they could keep their job and actually make revenue for videos.

Nintendo has actually noticed the uproar they caused and are in the process of making the "Nintendo Affiliate Program", where they're going to allow content creators to make revenue off of their content, while still giving some money to Nintendo.

Another thing I don't agree with. Though I'll get into that another time. I'm tired of typing.
dont get me wrong, im not siding with the game companies that take down lets plays and gameplay footage :p I know all the benfits that these fan videos on youtube have for the companies and I dont understand why they do it. It is fully within their rights to stop people from profiting off it though and you cant stop them from doing so directly, all i was saying with my previous comment was that while it is unfair you are still going into the situation knowing that you have put something in your video that puts it at risk of being taken down or have content id come up!

its fine if you actually review and speak critically about the music and or video content, I assume the OP was talking about just overlaying music ontop of their videos in the background for a few seconds, in which case he is most likely in no way reviewing the music in which case again he cant really NOT expect to have his video taken down :p