2 years and still at 18 subs? what am I doing wrong?

DieuGirl

I've been running the Dieugirl channel (overall) for about 2 years now. I deleted the old page and moved everything to a new address in hopes of netting some more active subscribers. Sadly, no dice.

I updated my banner and profile image, made a channel trailer, updated some of the worse videos (i.e cropping and thumbnails) Ive even enacted a new 'format' for the videos (AKA posting bible verses in the videos and moving weekly highlights to once a month)

still nothings changed. people still aren't commenting and many videos only have 2-4 views. I'm thinking about wiping the slate clean (again), and restarting the channel from scratch. Is this my only choice, or is there still a chance to breath life into this channel?

Mainly what I'm asking:
  • is there a common mistake/ blunder I'm making in my videos and just not seeing?
  • Is my message (that God can be found in video games) getting across?
  • Why aren't my subscribers commenting on my videos?
  • Why am I not attracting new subscribers?

Thank you for everything, and I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Last edited:
Hello DieuGirl :)

First off I'd like to say that it is cool you've found a niche of content that I myself have never seen before: video games with a focus on God. However, I'll also say I don't think there are a lot of people who seek this niche, and that may be the reason you're not attracting many subscribers.

About your channel design, it's honestly bad. It looks like you've taken a few pictures of Google and put it into Paint and added text with the Arial font. You need to look at some tutorials on how to make good looking banners and logos, and you might wat to look into possibly buying Adobe Photoshop to have better tools. Use a more pleasing, popping font, and use a pleasing background (can be found for free around the web, search for "YouTube banner background").

Your thumbnails are not that great either to be honest. You need to make it more interesting. What happens in the video? Do you encounter a monkey that craps bananas? That would be freakin' hilarious, so tell me in the title and to some degree in the thumbnail that it happens.

I did not have the opportunity to watch any of your videos as I have class, so I focused on giving critique on your channel design.

Good luck with your channel.

Hello DieuGirl :)

First off I'd like to say that it is cool you've found a niche of content that I myself have never seen before: video games with a focus on God. However, I'll also say I don't think there are a lot of people who seek this niche, and that may be the reason you're not attracting many subscribers.

I was afraid of that. Is it possible to add to this in the future? for example, a focus on God and entertainment? or God and cookies? God and Sonic? (AKA is it possible to have two niches instead of one?)

About your channel design, it's honestly bad. It looks like you've taken a few pictures of Google and put it into Paint and added text with the Arial font. You need to look at some tutorials on how to make good looking banners and logos, and you might wat to look into possibly buying Adobe Photoshop to have better tools. Use a more pleasing, popping font, and use a pleasing background (can be found for free around the web, search for "YouTube banner background").

I typically use GIMP for thumbnails and the banner. the size restrictions is daunting, I will admit. Ive looked up templates on google, but I'm not sure how make a banner that will look good on all formats.

Your thumbnails are not that great either to be honest. You need to make it more interesting. What happens in the video? Do you encounter a monkey that craps bananas? That would be freakin' hilarious, so tell me in the title and to some degree in the thumbnail that it happens.

I see. I updated a few but it seems I still have work to do.

I did not have the opportunity to watch any of your videos as I have class, so I focused on giving critique on your channel design.

I will admit, your response was very disheartening. I honestly had no idea there was that much work still to do. a complete takedown and revamp is seeming more and more like a viable option.
Don't feel bad, though. I needed this honesty, and I truly do appreciate it. sometimes you just really need to hear "This sucks. heres what you can do to make it better." Thank you for that. I truly wish there were more honest people like you in the world.

Good luck with your channel.

Thank you. I think luck is something I still need to earn.

God bless you and have a nice day!

You've got a unique selling point here. I've never even thought about God in gaming or what so ever. Well, Gods that you play to reign massive destruction - but not the kind you're attempting to deliver. That's something to hold onto to.

But I'm trying to help you here, so I'm completely honest. Your biggest problem is quality. Your thumbnails, banner, intro, trailer, microphone, video and most importantly the actual content.

For example, your most recent video about Agar.io. There's about a thousand extension bars in your browser, the text is barely legible, the framerate is low, the gameplay is cropped for some reason and you don't mention the game's title ANYWHERE.

Lots for you to work on, if that's something you enjoy doing of course. I'm not sure if you have the hard/software to actually make it happen. But I think it's something positive, lots to look forward to making true ;)

I say this plain hard but your channel just suck. Profile pic and channel banner are not pretty to look at. Uninteresting video title's, awful thumbnails. I watched your latest video and i see black bars on both side?!?!. There is allot to work on will you ever grow your channel.

I think you have a nice idea here. Your niche is definitely unique. I won't tell you to change your niche because I a strong believer of making content you want to make, but you have to try harder on your content. The fact that I saw your web browser in one of your videos is kinda unprofessional. I would understand if money for good software was a problem, but for what you're doing, all you need to do is download free software like OBS and learn to use them. You can't expect to earn a bunch of subs unless you put a BUTT load of work into it. People will subscribe when they see that you actually put some tlc in your content.

I recommend that you take a break from Youtube. Do some research on how to make quality content and seriously learn the software. Then come back and put some more effort into your channel. Honestly, right now, it looks like you're not even trying your best.

Just a little update. I have completely taken down the Dieugirl page and plan on starting again from scratch, piece by friggin piece if I have to. Thank you for all your advice and suggestions, and I'll be sure to keep ya'll posted as I rebuild the channel.

I tried to check out your channel, but it's already down. Let us know when it's back up! I think you can attract plenty of subscribers with that niche. It's unique, it's different. I think it's a one of a kind idea. Good luck!

probably deleting your channel and moving it isn't going to help. i think youtube looks for channels with lots of videos which have been around for a while. I'm not 100% though.

I couldn't comment on your channel because it was deleted before i saw it.

were you reaching out to people in the right places? I personally don't think traditional gaming sites etc would be respective to god/religious gaming channel, since most game sites stay neutral with religion since there's so many different views. but maybe on religious forums and pages or teaming up with youtubers which do other things involving religion like maybe religious news or religious vlogs channels?

I'm not sure what games you played or reviewed, but I know a friend of mine use to develop christian religious games, he basically made some which taught kids about part of the bible and such. so there must be some players out their for those games.

Okay, channel is back up, and I just finished the new banner. its still a bit plain, but at least its more colorful than the others...
Banner.jpeg

I want to make sure I get it right this time. I read somewhere that too much text detracts from the main pull of the banner, so what do you guys think? do I need to add what I offer (Devotional Gaming, Fan Fiction, Poetry, etc) or is this enough?

Back