2 Days, 2 Strikes. Am I Already Out?

Surreal469

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I uploaded a video reviewing something that happened in pro wrestling. This was the first time I tried a more in depth scripted review of something on my channel. Needless to say, I'm sure I used footage under fair use. WWE claimed and blocked the video worldwide within the day. I decided to fight it. Sending counter notifications every step of the way asserting my case. Each one declined...because WWE didn't agree. Not YT or a lawyer, WWE. They've now come down with a full on strike.

This comes a day after a reaction video to a vlog received a strike. I've tried reaching out to the guy. No response yet. I deleted the video (which only got 9 views anyway. Not a big loss).

How screwed am I? I'm trying not to panic and reached out to WWE, and another Youtuber who does wrestling videos who has successfully had videos reinstated. I'm just worried my channel that's starting to see some growth will be gone unfairly because Youtube can't get it's crap together. Do I need to start thinking about a lawyer? Do I have an out with both strikes?

TL;DR version....HELP lol

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Did you use actual footage?

They don't like that at all

Surreal469

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I did. I used short clips to illustrate my points. I used none of WWE's audio. Just short clips. It was a critique of an event. My video falls under fair use.

GrgakGames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I did. I used short clips to illustrate my points. I used none of WWE's audio. Just short clips. It was a critique of an event. My video falls under fair use.
Doesn't really matter with WWE man they will go as far as take you to court for using their "video" clips.

WhatCulture had this issue a few months ago and now they only use pictures.

WWE Is super hardcore about this now, it sucks but if you want to try and fight it go ahead but you are dealing with the same people that let go one of their best talents (Damien Sandow) just because they can.

God speed

Surreal469

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I reached out to Brian Zane (Wrestling With Wregret). Hopefully, I'll hear back from him. There was another video I made a few months ago where for a few seconds I spoke over a Dusty Rhodes promo for all of 5 seconds. They eventually released that video. If it were just the one strike, I wouldn't be as worried. But 2 this close together with the way YT works (or doesn't) has me worried.

GrgakGames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Like I said man there is not much else you can do.

I'd suggest trying to kiss up to WWE if you even can do that. Good luck xoxoxoxo

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Now I wonder, how come you got a strike for your vlog that you made before that video?

Reactions: RBG

DoomPriestK

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
WWE or not they are wrong.

What puzzles me is why YouTube themselves don't step in and say yes or no as to if this actually constitutes Fair Usage

I would contact YouTube, argue this strike is unjust and ask someone in customer services to look at it, or forward the issue onto someone who can view the video and make judgement.

If it constitutes Fair Use then YouTube should be contacting the WWE and saying they have no choice to allow this because it's US COPYRIGHT LAW, that's something everyone has to abide by, even the mighty WWE.

YouTube has now stated it will ACTIVELY defend people who gain unfair copyright strikes, they tend to prioritize top earners but that's besides the point, you should be represented as fairly as everyone else.

the WWE being who they are will likely then puff out their chests, take it to court........then lose.

By the way, you have under 10 mins of footage right? even muted? people who review stuff like Game of Thrones tend to keep it to under 10mins of footage (may be 20 but can't remember right now so said 10 to be sure lol) and they have no problems, I know HBO isn't the WWE but HBO fall in line because it's the law.

Another thing, I never understood why companies like this are so idiotic that they can't see that publicity, even bad publicity, is still a valid form of marketing (i'm not even sure if you criticized what you were reviewing or praised it though). If you praised it then they are even bigger idiots.

Another thing, make sure you give it a couple of days after main events to post reviews, lots of companies get shirty about spoilers so close to release day.

Surreal469

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Now I wonder, how come you got a strike for your vlog that you made before that video?
It was a reaction video to a vlog. The guy sent me a "check out my video" message on Twitter. I made a reaction video to it in October. Now he gave me a strike.