Knerow

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys, been messing around with new editing software and I can't figure out if this video is 720p or not (I don't usually render in 720p but I need to this time to cut upload times down) but because it's my video, I obviously want to make it as good as possible and that's where I need some outside advice.

My opinion is a little biased because I judge my own videos a bit harshly but I'd like someone else to give me their opinion on the quality of the video in my signature.

You don't need to watch all of it, just a minute or 2 of the gameplay would give you an idea of the video quality, the cutscenes look nice but to me, the gameplay just looks very pixelated for 720p.

So, I'll cut this off here and just let you get to watching the video because I just feel like I'm talking in circles now.

Sanuku

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Each Year more and more Device are becoming capeable of playing Content in 720p/1080p while almost every five to seven Years the Bandwidth Cost are dropping by something like 10% ~ 15% or even Flaterates are dropping into a Price Region that let them become affordable for more and more of us.

After saying that I just want to give you a small example of how things have changed in the last Years for me:

When I had started this hole YouTube Adventure a few Years ago I was one of those Guys that thought that 360p/480p will always will be enough and that there is actually no Market or audience for High Quality Content.

Things changed since then...a lot!
Over the last couple of Years I stopped watching YouTube Content only on my PC (30 Zoll/2.560 x 1.600) and now more and more often watch it on my TV Screen (55 Zoll/1920x1080/...) or on my Mobile iDevice like my New iPad (2,048x1,536) or at the Office on our Laptops (15,4 Zoll/2880x1800).

As you can see none of those Devices are using an Resolution below Full HD. Watching any of my old Content on my other YouTube Channel nowadays where most Content was recorded with 360/480 or even below that makes me nowadays pretty much puke.

Specially watching that Content today on my TV Screen is making me dizzy and I stop doing that since I`m pretty sure I couldn`t stand that for a longer time without switching the Channel after a few Minutes immediately.

The Question shouldn`t be therefor if you shouldn`t record in 720/1080 it should be always recorded in that Resolution nowadays!

Since that wasn`t your Question and I want to come to an End and answer the Question you have asked let`s focus on it for a few Minutes:

To check your uploaded Content, which while I talk about it at the current Point got already remove for unknown Reason you should either use the Tools that are already included into Windows...

...or use a Tool that does show you actually the Bandwidth of the File. If you are recording in 720p the Bandwidth should be between 15.000 ~ 12.000 kBit/s.​
But most important is the Tool/Hardware Device you are Recording with. If it isn`t capable of delivering 720p/1080p it doesn´t make sense to blow up the Resolution while encoding since it won`t look as good as something that was recorded in those Format from the Beginning.​
While it might doesn`t matter at the current Moment you should realize that you should always go Quality > Quantity and therefor something like ...to cut upload times down... should never ever be the Way you should go since in the longer run you will loose more then you might believe in the longer Run.​

Knerow

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank you for your incredibly detailed reply, I found out that it wasn't 720p but I found out that I could make it 720p or at least close enough. If I can't get a video as high as 720p at least then I don't upload it. I deleted my video because I had no more use for it and I've uploaded a completely new video in it's place but yes thank you again for your answer.