13 Tips You Never Thought Of

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
These are 13 YouTube tips that you probably have never thought of. These are not just the same old tips you have heard over and over again. This is something different:

1. If you ever change your twitter name or any name on a social media site. Be sure you aren't still linking to your old one in your channel art and description of videos. If you ever change you username on social media go back to all of you old videos and change it and be sure to use the new link in new videos.

2. You've heard that is good to have a cool looking channel banner. But did you ever think about your banner will look on mobile devices? Sometimes that super cool banner looks like crap on a tablet on phone, and so it might be a good idea to stick to simpler banner design that can viewed clearly across all platforms.

3. Custom thumbnails are great, but you need to remember that they are areas where parts of your thumbnail not visible. For example, in the lower right corner there is the timestamp, if you watch a video in the upper right there is a watch stamp and the edges get cut off on mobile and embed sites. If possible keep your text and main image of your thumbnail out of these areas to ensure a clear viewing.

4.If you can have the same links for all social media accounts. No-one wants to remember five different names. Of course this is usually a beginners mistake, but then when they change they account and make the mistake I listed in #1 above.

5.If you can, don't use underscores on social media links, they look unprofessional and often left out when other people credit your link. Plus they are sometimes left off in print media and they just look stupid. I guess this one is more of an opinion, but I have seen links with underscores get left when other people credit them. However, if you really like using an underscore in your link I guess it isn't the biggest deal.

6. Good lighting can go a long way. Sometimes it is more important then good camera quality. However, not everyone has money for expensive lighting kits. A good idea is to purchase a white light bulb or a lamp that uses white light, I have one and it doubles as my desk lamp for doing homework as well as a light for filming videos.

7. Don't ever apologize, especially if you are starting off. Never say, sorry this weeks video wasn't good, don't apologize for your bad hair, noise in the background or anything else. This shows you don't even like your videos, and why should someone else. Instead, ten minutes before filming comb your hair, make sure everything is quiet and have a good plan of what you are going to do for the video if you don't have a script.

8. This is not obvious, but go back in all your social media and delete all your tweets or posts that contain material that could be offensive or contains personal information. There was a certain viner who got a bad rep for his tweets from two years ago. Also, many bigger YouTubers get stalked and older posts that contain personal info are fair game for stalker fans. You never know where you could be in a few months or a year and who could be reading your social media posts.

9.Never be mean and post hate on other YouTubers videos big or small. Why? Because the YouTube world seems to be connected and you never know you could end up asking that YouTuber for a favor or you might be friends with them one day. Also, what goes around comes around and treat others the way you want to be treated.

10. Never sign a contract with network for long period of time. There are channels that less then two years ago, were nobodies and now they have millions of subs. 1 year is a long time in the life of a YouTube channel, even a one year contract know what you are getting into.

11. Update your about section on your channel occasionally. Sometimes people haven't updated their about section in a while and it contains outdated information. Same goes with channel art, if your art says new videos every Monday but now you changed it to Thursdays, you should change your art too.

12. Time spent on video means nothing. Don't think that just because you spent a lot of time on a video that it must be good. And don't think why is that YouTuber famous, they don't spend a lot time on their videos. Well first of all you don't know how much time someone spent on a video, and second that doesn't mean their videos are terrible. A video that someone spent six hours on could be crap and video that someone spent six minutes on could be amazing. At the end of the day, it is all about what you put on the screen.

13. YouTube isn't for everyone if you don't like it just quit and find something else to do with your time. Being a youtuber you will get hate and compared to others. People will expect you to make content that you might not even want to or know how to make. Life is too short to waste time doing things you don't like. So if really don't like it quit, you can always come back later.

Thanks for sharing these with us, I enjoyed reading them. I laughed reading the one about apologising, it just makes it ten times worse than if they didn't apologise at all a lot of the time and I really dont like when I see them say their video will suck immediately, talk about off putting :D

I'd say in addition to point 1; don't add your social media links to the video itself by that I mean text with /facebookpage or @twitterpage anywhere, because if you change social media links (like I did) you can only change what's in the description, not the actual video, not until you've fully established the links you want. I've got vids on my old channel that have that old social media links in them that I can't get rid of, mainly my twitter. If you want to promote social media links always have something in the outro with some of the logos and text saying "Links in the description" or something like that.

I don't entirely agree with point 7, although my genre of channel doesn't require my hair to be combed xD I apologise if there's a situation where I'm sick or if a fan is running in the background due to the extreme heat that causes extra background noise, so that viewers understand if there's a problem out of my control and that I didn't just release a video with background noise cause I was lazy or that I recorded a vid half arsed when I was actually sick but wanted to play. But there's a difference between apologising and criticising your own video on camera as well. Saying "I'm sorry this video will suck" is different from saying "I'm sorry if this video sucks". 1 already gives confirmation to the viewer the other doesn't.

@WolfWraith You made some good points. My tips were mainly for vlogging channels because I know almost nothing about gaming channels, but I know that they still apply to gamers.

Number eight is great advice. I have a stalker (not a fan) and deleted or changed accounts on different sites. Unfortunately, a site's staff may not be willing to delete posts or change usernames when it is very easy and quick to do.

That was prob the best/most detailed list of tips I've seen in a while! Thank you for sharing. I will definitely put most of these into action on my own channel!

Wow, :) this information is very helpful, and I know i will look back on it ever once in a while to help with my own channel. Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back