1080p Is It Worth It?

koalafied gamers

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There is very little difference. Watch Youtube videos in 720 and then in 1080 and then you can see if there is much difference and if its worth extra waiting time waiting for the video to render

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
There is very little difference. Watch Youtube videos in 720 and then in 1080 and then you can see if there is much difference and if its worth extra waiting time waiting for the video to render

What waiting time?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Considering that a large majority of the people that watch YouTube only have 720p monitors. So no its not worth the extra rendering.

tsk1979

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It actually depends on whats the place where people watch your videos.
For example, lets say you are a TV show producer. Your show will be viewed on HDTV via HDMI. So 1080P is definitely worth it.
If you are into stuff like time lapses and stuff (photography related), your audience will watch it full screen on their PC or LAPTOP.
Again, 1080P is must.

However, if your content is not of the artistic type. For example, you are a political narrator. The content is what you are saying, rather than the visual. Then 720P is overkill.

So decide based on your content.
A movie showing the glaciers of Alaska - 1080P must
A movie teaching German.. ? - 720P should be good enough.

If you have decent upload bandwidth at your home, you can encode with a less CPU intensive codec. Larger file size will be there, but you won't roast your processor.

If you are using a WYSISWYG linear editor, go for uncompressed, and then later use Virtualdub etc., for the final encode before upload.[DOUBLEPOST=1387172971,1387172837][/DOUBLEPOST]
Considering that a large majority of the people that watch YouTube only have 720p monitors. So no its not worth the extra rendering.
720P monitors? 1920X1080P is standard in Laptops since past 2 years. Very common.
PCs have been 1080P for long. Ditto for LCD/LED TVs

However, if your audience comes from mobile device(see your channel stats), then 720P is enough.

My mobile device audience is less than 30%. So I always try 1080P.
Since my work is photography/TimeLapse stuff based. I have to go with 1080P.

See my previous post. Check out your content and Audience and then decide. There is no one size fits all here.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes, approx 80% of my viewers are using resolutions greater than 1280 x 1366.

Mobile devices at best are 15%.

I think it's fair to say that most advertising is being run in 1080p - for a reason.

Pancake

Lonely Weirdo
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Cartoonist, Animator, Other
I watch videos in 360p

LeiJet

PC Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I usually render my videos in 720p because it's faster to upload on Youtube.

TigerXtrm

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
1080p has been the standard in monitor land for the past few years. Most branded PC's come with Full HD monitors. iMacs come with Full HD monitors. Every single Youtube capable TV is Full HD or larger. Even the latest generation of phones (Galaxy S4, HTC One...) have Full HD screens. Saying there's no audience for it is nothing short of complete ignorance.

But even if you were right and there is no audience for it right now. What will the audience be using in 4 years? Do you want your old videos to actually look old or do you want a consistent quality on your channel?

Reactions: tsk1979

cco64

HIT THE DECK!!! I might shoot..?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
if your upload can handle it, people like to watch the best quality uploads, there is a small difference, unfortunately for a lot of people their upload speed is just terrible so they can't always afford to go to 1080p, though that's probably more true for a gaming channel or vlog channel as they usually bring content every day. I wouldn't say it's a need but it's nice if your internet can handle it, i think anyways :)

ChargunHD

The FawX is on the Hunt
Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
Channel Type
Gamer
All really depends on you, I have friends who dont watch a video unless its 1080p for the bigger channels its essential to have it 1080p simply for that fact, smaller channels like us well were only small channels for now and a lot of people dont expect much when starting off but as you grow and progress and build your channel your going to widen your audience and people will find you who want better quality and its up to you to provide them with that

In short If your a small enough channel I wouldnt bother for now, 480-720p is good for now, as the channel takes time to grow our software and hardware will also upgrade along the way to the point where your PC will be built to render out 1080p in a matter of minutes, I upload when I sleep