• Please note that all milestone posts must not be of a promotional nature and must conform to the Milestones Forum Rules. All "almost" and "nearly" milestone threads are deleted.

1000 subscribers - a few tips on how

stef747

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
Last week I passed 1000 subscribers, I'm growing at around 10-20 per day now primarily due to a couple of changes, which I thought I'd share...

First, a bit of back story. I am a Private Pilot and setup my channel to share flying videos, view from the cockpit stuff. That got a pretty good following but wasn't growing very fast.

Skip to a month ago when I went on holiday and decided to vlog my way around the new Qatar Business Class Q Suite offering, and a few days later recorded a short piece on a British Airways flight about their Biz offering (which was pretty average). Suddenly, I've got 2 videos with over 30K views in a month and my daily subscribers went from 5 to 20.

So I decided to pivot a little and turned the channel into a 'pilot and travel videos' channel. I changed from the branded name I was using (Fly Digital) to my personal name (Stefan Drury) and started focusing on content more around 'me' and my experiences of travel and aviation, rather than simply 'videos about me flying planes'.

Additionally, I also started posting more regularly, at least 2 videos per week, typically one aviation video and one general-travel video.

And that seems to have found a sweet spot for me, steady subscriber growth and over 80K channel views now.

Just thought I'd share to try and help others out there also looking to grow. My key learnings were - a) don't be afraid to change direction, b) try and inject more of your personality into your videos to connect with your viewers, and c) NEVER STOP CREATING!

Hope that helps, thanks for reading.
Stef

TheMoonchinKing

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Congratulations on this milestone. Stefan. I am glad that you have managed to adapt and rebrand your channel to appeal to a larger audience. It would definitely appear that people do tend to engage greater with personalities which they may find they can relate to or at the least - find interesting to watch, rather than "just" a 1st point of view from a camera with little interaction. Thank you for your tips - I hope we all continue to grow!

Masters of Kung Food

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Congrats on the milestone and thanks for the tips man. Loved that part about making it about 'you' rather than 'you flying airplanes'. :)

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Congratulations Stefan of the first big milestone achievement. Yes, that is how it is today. People tend to like more personal stuff rather than some "branding" stuff. I feel the same, but I will not go in that direction although it can bring more people to watch. Also, the picture on youtube channel I see people love when you put a picture of yourself. However, I will not do that also, a matter of preference :D. Good luck in future growing!

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well done mate keep up the good work. You are in a small but great nich that gets a has a lot of interest.

fatisis

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Congratulations, Stefan! I believe that It helps that you have high quality content and good thumbnails. It gets the attention. Well done! ;)

Jakes Aquatic Addiction

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
congrats man! i know what you mean i do videos on my fish and lizard and the animals i own, i done a tour of my cousins fish room (his business) the views climbed more quicker then my other videos and i ended up getting comments like and a few sub! so i started working mainly on fish! i think i need to do another tour soon as people liked that!

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Awesome job! Congratulations on your milestone, and here's to many more!