1000 Sub Milestone Q&A

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey all,

My first time posting in this area of the forums after being here years, haha.

I'm going to do a Q&A when I hit 1000 subs (should be by end of this month on my current path). I will be doing a giveaway of just over $250 worth of games that various indie game developers have donated to me as well as a Q&A. I'm going to ask my subscribers for questions, but I was hoping you all may be able to provide me some great questions as well!

Thanks for your input!

Questions so far:
  • On your road to 1000 subscribers, what frustrations and roadblocks have you hit and how did you overcome them, learn and progress? - MattyGreen
  • What makes you want to review a game? - TheTNGMen
  • Do you try to stay impartial until you actually get your hands on it, or do you tend to be influenced by whatever is out there already ( be it the dev's previous works, other reviews, ect...)? - TheTNGMen
  • Now that you have built an audience and reputation, do you tend to have more people go to you to review their games, or are you still actively searching out games? - TheTNGMen
  • Does developing relations (be they personal or casual) with devs help open new doors to reviewing more "established"(triple A and such) game developers? - TheTNGMen

Last edited:

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
On your road to 1000 subscribers, what frustrations and roadblocks have you hit and how did you overcome them, learn and progress?

Pre-congratulations for when you reach 1000!

Reactions: WeiseGamer

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
On your road to 1000 subscribers, what frustrations and roadblocks have you hit and how did you overcome them, learn and progress?

Pre-congratulations for when you reach 1000!
Thanks, that's a good question, =P

Also thank you for your support. I've seen you reply to a few of my topics in the past too :)

Reactions: MattyGreen

TheTNGMen

I'm Just a Meme Machine
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What makes you want to review a game?

Do you try to stay impartial until you actually get your hands on it, or do you tend to be influenced by whatever is out there already ( be it the dev's previous works, other reviews, ect...)?

Now that you have built an audience and reputation, do you tend to have more people go to you to review their games, or do you still mainly find games to review on your own?

Does developing relations (be they personal or casual) with devs help open new doors to reviewing more "established"(triple A and such) game developers?

Sorry if too many, kind of intrigued~

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What makes you want to review a game?
Do you try to stay impartial until you actually get your hands on it, or do you tend to be influenced by whatever is out there already ( be it the dev's previous works, other reviews, ect...)?
Now that you have built an audience and reputation, do you tend to have more people go to you to review their games, or are you still actively searching out games?

Sorry if too many, kind of intrigued~
I'd love to answer those in depth in a video! I can give a quick answer if you like though :p

Reactions: TheTNGMen

caperco

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Well done bro really glad to see you hitting your goals keep it up and that 1K will be 2K

Reactions: WeiseGamer

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Whichever you prefer :D

O crap and congrats on the soon to be 1000!
Thanks, LOL.
  • What makes you want to review a game?
I've been gaming for about 20 years now. I've played and owned just about every console from Atari/Magnavox Odyssey to now, though I am primarily a PC Gamer currently. Indie Games are a huge passion for me because they bring back the nostalgia of retro titles at times, but also just break bounds usually with things you don't seen in mainstream AAA stuff.
  • Do you try to stay impartial until you actually get your hands on it, or do you tend to be influenced by whatever is out there already ( be it the dev's previous works, other reviews, ect...)?
Oh I am 100% honest and impartial in everything. There is no other way to do it for me. I actually recently wrote a guide on YTTalk on how to review a game and mention this in it. I have been commended by both gamers and developers that I am always honest, respectful of the developer, but still provide constructive criticism and call games like it is. One dev thanked me so much for my input/feedback that he decided to honor me with a little homage/mention by putting me in his game.
  • Now that you have built an audience and reputation, do you tend to have more people go to you to review their games, or are you still actively searching out games?
I still actively search for SOME stuff, like, the bigger titles. I've been begging for a No Man's Sky key, but they aren't giving them to anyone right now. For the most part, however, I stay busy enough with word of mouth referrals, people finding me on searches, and a couple PR companies who hand my name out or just blanket send me keys without even asking if I will review the game. It's fun to not have to beg for everything, but I do ask for some stuff if I really want to check a game out or viewers have been begging me. I've also still bought (recently even) a lot of games to review, so not everything is free =D
  • Does developing relations (be they personal or casual) with devs help open new doors to reviewing more "established"(triple A and such) game developers?
I would say HELL YES to that. For example, a local developer reached out to me, turns out their studio is 20 mins from my house. They have be scheduled for a one on one tour/interview(Idk what that entails yet, haha) then are taking me out to eat. They are indie, but they have been around for 10+ years and did freelance work for Disney, Hasbro, Matell, and others outside of their own games.

They introduced me to one of the founders of a local convention that is on their third year this year in making a GDC like convention local to my area. I'm meeting with him later this month to give feedback on the event, possibly join the staff on coordination panels/speakers next year, and maybe giving my own keynote on contacting YouTubers/Streamers when marketing your game. They have someone from Square Enix coming out to speak this year![DOUBLEPOST=1457649991,1457649961][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well done bro really glad to see you hitting your goals keep it up and that 1K will be 2K
Thanks, this isn't a milestone post though so no need to say congrats! Just ask questions if you have them :)

Reactions: TheTNGMen

TheTNGMen

I'm Just a Meme Machine
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks, LOL.

• Does developing relations (be they personal or casual) with devs help open new doors to reviewing more "established"(triple A and such) game developers?
I would say HELL YES to that. For example, a local developer reached out to me, turns out their studio is 20 mins from my house. They have be scheduled for a one on one tour/interview(Idk what that entails yet, haha) then are taking me out to eat. They are indie, but they have been around for 10+ years and did freelance work for Disney, Hasbro, Matell, and others outside of their own games.

They introduced me to one of the founders of a local convention that is on their third year this year in making a GDC like convention local to my area. I'm meeting with him later this month to give feedback on the event, possibly join the staff on coordination panels/speakers next year, and maybe giving my own keynote on contacting YouTubers/Streamers when marketing your game. They have someone from Square Enix coming out to speak this year![DOUBLEPOST=1457649991,1457649961][/DOUBLEPOST]
Fascinating, really does prove how important networking is, and getting to know the people behind the scenes! Thank you for your responses~

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Fascinating, really does prove how important networking is, and getting to know the people behind the scenes! Thank you for your responses~
Definitely it is man, definitely. Some of my earliest contacts I ever made were ones when I was living in California still. Went to San Francisco for some local developer meet ups and well, 2 years later here I am. That's 2 years of real world time, but probably a year of uploads (I took at least 9 months off at various times due to moving, changing careers, etc).

Oh and @TheTNGMen since I answered, you better come watch my Q&A Video :p

Last edited: