100 Videos and Under 50 Subs

PsySpy Gaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello everyone!

I'm Scot but I generally go by PsySpy for the YouTube networking thing.

I've been doing my channel for a couple months now and promoting everywhere that I could think to. I took a huge hit in my sub base in April from a glitch in the YouTube system that knocked me from 66 subs down to 11. From there, I've been growing myself back, but it's going very very slowly. About 15 subs through 30+ videos (sometimes I post videos 2-3 times a day, though it's rare). Most of my subs have been through Reddit and the few friends that I have made so far on YouTube.

That being said, I've been struggling over the past month to try to rebuild what I had. The old subs aren't coming back because they were suspended and/or banned (some of them I'm glad because they were just there to troll me). But is it common to be this many videos in and still be a relatively unknown personality? I've seen channels with 1/10th of my content have 10x the subs that I have.

I've been told by almost everyone who has reviewed my channel that I'm doing almost everything right, and it's hard to get feedback when nobody comments.

Am I just not interesting or entertaining?

Reactions: TwoTakes

Wicked Raven

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's not that dude. A lot of it is about luck. I know someone who has uploaded 100 videos and has 0 subs... The luck factor comes into it on whether or not u get noticed. Being noticed is when someone watches u then retweets/reblogs/shares your videos then it eventually gets a lot of views and u get subs. But a lot of you tubers don't get noticed and can pump out constant content and not get very many. So don't worry dude. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the quality of ur content. It's just that u haven't been noticed yet. But keep it up and sooner or later it might happen

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

midzan21

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Here is my opinion about that.
So, I have multiple channels, from which one is gaming channel. It have now over 100 videos online and not even 50 subs (reached that milestone, but after some time fake/closed channels left and now it is on 45-49 subs, depends on day and week in month). Channel is old now year and half and we (me and my buddy which also work on channel) got this milestone (latest screenshot, made today at 11:00am CEST)
gs1.png
So, keep it up and you would grow as fast as you can ;) Believe like me in this channel :D

Furry Gurus

I'm a girl!
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm not sure if you are asking general advice or specific for your channel. If it is the first, you are in the correct place, if it is the second, please post in the Reviews and Channel feedback forum. Thank you :)

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I'll give you my take. I've done 8 videos and got 60 subs. Each video has gotten a few subs added. It's not the fastest rate but it's been constant. And my videos have more views than subs for each one. So maybe I can give advice

Your videos are too long, some of them are in competitive areas and the titles and images aren't standing out enough.

My first 3 videos were about 15 minutes each but I learned quick that nobody wants to hear someone they have no connection to go on for 15 minutes, especially about a game you could watch in 100 other places. I now have a rule that no video goes over 5 minutes until I have at least 10000 subs because again, no one cares because I'm a nobody.

Titles are very important. Some of yours have too general of words that will come up in a search. Try tube buddy or vidiq and see what terms are not competitive. You could also just type words in and see what comes out and what kind of videos are there. You reviewed my recent video (thanks btw!) and that video already hit #4 in the name of the game it's from. Mainly because I went with the Japanese name and made sure it was in the title and description and tags. I can't see your tags but your best off by using all 500 characters with 3+ words for each. I also have another video about something else which is #1 on several search terms. It gets about 15 views a day. Not a lot but because i choose to target lower keywords it's turned out better being #1 in something small over being #50000 of something super popular

Reddit is tricky and I don't like the YouTube and let play forums there. The people are nice but they are all doing the exact same thing. Sure here you could say that but it's much more varied and you could see and get seen by people with different interests and it could lead to something. I only post there now like once a month and only in the specific areas and I make sure to post after finding some interesting things I didn't do myself. It's fun though because I like the topic of the Reddit. If I didn't it'd be a chore. But they really don't like it if you post constantly about yourself.

Think about a strategy beyond YouTube search too! Facebook Twitter and websites are where lots of views come from. I'm starting to get the hang of Twitter but it feels like the opposite of Reddit to me, you have to post constantly over and over but then people start to notice.
Think of Facebook. I was surprised how many old friends and current co workers wanted to see what I was making even if it wasn't their main interest. Then they can like it and pass it on. If it's catchy enough websites can pick it up as well. Websites want traffic and if you can provide something they want to use, they'll be happy to use it. The video of mine you saw was used on a website because as I made the video I emailed a link for story submission and they said ok! Again because I chose something specific and kept it short enough to not turn people off.

Hope this can help. Wanted to be frank and honest but in a helpful way because I'd Like to see you succeed as well and you asked for the help

PsySpy Gaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well, the most viewed video that I've ever posted to reddit was a short (5-minute) review/opinion of the Doom 2016 Multiplayer Open Beta. I personally didn't find it very appealing because it seemed to me to be rather bland and without a ton of options. It is also very much a copycat of games that do the whole 'arena pew pew' thing better. People like to say it's not but besides some interface and minor other things, it really is. It just has the Doom spin on it.

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Gaijilionaire makes some good points. but i disagree with the bit about length of videos. working out the correct length of videos for your niche is of course important. but for lets plays, its expected that those videos are longer 15+ is perfectly fine

for instance, my gaming channel has been going 6 months. i have 1,200 subscribers. and my video length average is around 23 minutes

the biggest thing for me is to find a niche. even if you want to end up a jack of all trades gaming channel. initially maybe target a certain game or genre of games, its easier for you to target that audience and make some impact. than start branching out into other games

one final point. of course there is a huge amount of luck in youtube generally. but slow steady growth is much more to do with hard work and strategy (and quality of course) targeting the right games, using the right SEO - titles, description and tags are hugely important. and eye catching thumbnails

TwoTakes

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hello everyone!

I'm Scot but I generally go by PsySpy for the YouTube networking thing.

I've been doing my channel for a couple months now and promoting everywhere that I could think to. I took a huge hit in my sub base in April from a glitch in the YouTube system that knocked me from 66 subs down to 11. From there, I've been growing myself back, but it's going very very slowly. About 15 subs through 30+ videos (sometimes I post videos 2-3 times a day, though it's rare). Most of my subs have been through Reddit and the few friends that I have made so far on YouTube.

That being said, I've been struggling over the past month to try to rebuild what I had. The old subs aren't coming back because they were suspended and/or banned (some of them I'm glad because they were just there to troll me). But is it common to be this many videos in and still be a relatively unknown personality? I've seen channels with 1/10th of my content have 10x the subs that I have.

I've been told by almost everyone who has reviewed my channel that I'm doing almost everything right, and it's hard to get feedback when nobody comments.

Am I just not interesting or entertaining?
The best thing you can do is just focus on your channel- listening to advice and tips to improve your content, your promotion etc. Don't look at other channels and compare yourself because it is just pointless. There are so many factors involved in YT success, many of which you cannot control.
It doesn't matter if you are unlucky or total crap- the solution is the same- keep going, keep working, keep trying and your situation can only get better.

SlayerXtR

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just have fun doing what you are doing. Quit worrying about #'s at this point. That will come as you grow, learn, and have fun!

That's where a lot of YouTubers will fall flat is because they want to try and being a super star right out the gate and that just doesn't happen.

My Creator Critic Channel (where I review other YouTuber's channel and give feedback and such) Within a week hit 84 subscribers and only have like 9 videos up. I do it though because I love it and I love the community that has started because of it.. and that's what is motivating me.. even though the subscribers have stopped pulling in, it hasn't stopped me from wanting to make better content and enjoying helping others.

Dario

I've Got It
Reaction score
I remember when i posted my 100th vídeo and i had only 71 subs... Now i have 12k subs. Só dont worry, keep working